Skip to main content

Tonoa tētahi Code Compliance Certificate (CCC)

Apply for a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC)

Once you believe work is complete, you are required by law to apply for a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC). Submit all relevant documents together with your CCC application.

​What is a Code Compliance Certificate?

A Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) is a certificate issued by us as a building consent authority under section 95 of the Building Act 2004.

A CCC is a formal statement (section 94 of the Building Act 2004) that confirms we are satisfied on reasonable grounds that all building work has been completed in accordance with the building consent we issued for your project.

​What you need to apply for a CCC

You need to include:

  • documents provided by your Licensed Building Practitioners or registered professionals, e.g. Memorandum: Record of Building Work, electrical certificates etc.
Check the conditions of your consent for other documentation that may be required.
To enable us to progress your application faster, you should also include:
  • supporting documents listed in your consent advice notes, e.g. producer statements
  • any additional documents requested during inspections.

Our tip

Make sure you provide all required documentation with your CCC application. This will help us to progress your application faster. If information is missing, you will receive a Request for further information (RFI).
You can avoid an RFI by ensuring your application is complete, accurate and any compliance issues have been addressed.

A good way to know all of your work has been completed is to book your final inspection before you apply for your CCC.

​Why you need to apply for a CCC

You may need to supply a copy of CCC to complete a sale and purchase agreement, or when you apply for home insurance. Residential property developers must have a CCC to complete the sale of a household unit.

Section 92 of the Building Act 2004 requires an owner to apply for a CCC once all work carried out under an issued building consent is complete.

If this does not happen, two years after the date on which the building consent was granted we have to make a decision whether to issue or refuse a CCC. If a decision is made to refuse the CCC, the owner may reapply at a later date to have this decision reconsidered.

Historic CCC application

If your building consent is five or more years old, your CCC application is classified as an historic application.

We will need to access your building for durability. You have to fill out an application form which focuses on B2 Durability in the Building Code.

​Attach the completed form to your online CCC application.

Our tip

If you are unsure whether your work is finished or if it complies with the building consent plans, book a final inspection to ensure everything is complete before making your CCC application.
You need to have a copy of the consent plans onsite for all inspections.

Compliance schedule

If your building has any specified systems added, altered or removed,and we are satisfied that all specified systems are functional and fit for purpose,we will issue a compliance schedule with a compliance schedule statement with your CCC.

See Certify the specified systems in your building for compliance schedule requirements.

Confirming performance standards for specified systems

If your building has a specified system, any performance standards related to that system need to be confirmed and approved by us before we can issue a CCC or a new or amended compliance schedule.

The correct performance standards need to be shown on your building consent and compliance schedule. If this is not done, the systems may not be properly checked in the future.

If the performance standard details in your building consent are inadequate, we will contact you to request more information. We will then record the correct performance standard on the compliance schedule, which is issued with your CCC.

Once you have supplied the correct performance standard details, they will be confirmed by a CCC assessor and amended on your documentation.

If you are unsure about the performance standard or one is not available, talk with the system’s installer or designer.

If you need more information, see our guidance document on this topic.

​Buildings open to the public

Any buildings open to the public cannot be used or occupied until a CCC or Certificate of Public Use (CPU) is issued.

If a CPU is issued, the building may be used before the CCC is granted.

CCC fees

Deposits and outstanding charges

You do not need to pay for your CCC when you apply.

The deposit for processing your CCC is included in your building consent invoice. If there are any outstanding charges for inspections or processing your CCC, we will send you an invoice before we send you your CCC.

Any outstanding fees, including development contributions, must be paid in full before the CCC is issued.

Schedule of fees

Fees are indicative pricing only and are subject to change.

Read fee table.
Description Deposit
Project value $20,000 and over base fee (non-refundable, additional charges may apply)$664
Project value up to $19,999 base fee (non-refundable, additional charges may apply)$223

You should know

As of 1 October 2023, CCC applications for fixed fee consents will be subject to additional charges for processing. This excludes subsidised applications.

​How to apply for a Code Compliance Certificate

Click "Apply for CCC" to complete your application online.  

For older building consents (five or more years old), you will also need to complete and attach the B2 Durability form below.

Apply for CCC

We only accept online applications for this certificate. If you are unable to apply digitally, visit one of our libraries with council services for assistance in making your online application.

Call us on 09 301 0101 to speak with our building and planning help desk if you have questions regarding your application.

​What happens next

We process applications within 20 working days.

During this time if we ask for more information from you, this 'clock' will be stopped, and will be restarted when our request has been resolved.

Once we have completed processing and reached a decision, we will let you know of the outcome along with an invoice for outstanding fees and charges.

You should know

We may refuse to issue a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) if:
  • the work is not completed or does not comply with your building consent
  • you fail to supply the required documentation
  • a final inspection has not been completed.
If this is our decision, we will provide you written notice of the refusal and the reasons for the refusal.

 Related topics



Certificate of Acceptance (CoA) for unconsented building work of Acceptance (CoA) for unconsented building workA CoA provides a limited assurance that we are satisfied unconsented building work complies with the current New Zealand Building Code.aspxBuilding and consents
Building consent fees and charges consent fees and chargesView fees and charges when applying for a building consent.aspxBuilding consents
Extension of time to commence building work of time to commence building workFind out how to apply for an extension of time to commence your building work.aspxBuilding and consents
Certificate of Compliance (CoC) of Compliance (CoC)Find out what a Certificate of Compliance is and what you need to apply.aspxBuilding and consents
Declare that your building work complies with the Building Code through producer statements (PS) that your building work complies with the Building Code through producer statements (PS)Prove that your building work complies with the Building Code by getting relevant producer statements for the design and construction of your project.aspxBuilding and consents
Report faulty building work online faulty building work onlineUse our form to report faulty building work.Online formaspxBuilding and consents