Skip to main content
COVID-19 information For all COVID-19 information, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website at
Visit OurAuckland to learn about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19
Get the latest information about council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 information
Auckland Council

Check if you need a consent to put in a residential pool or spa

Kimihia mēnā me whai whakaaetanga ki te whakauru puna kaukau ā-kāinga, puna kaukau korohuhū rānei

How to check if you need a consent to put in a pool or spa


Our tip

If your residential or small heated pool is close to a boundary, and you have the written approval from your neighbours, you can apply for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity.
This application replaces the need to apply for a resource consent.
You will still need to apply for a building consent, if required.


​Our online tool helps you check if you need a building or resource consent for your pool or spa.

  • A small spa is one that has a water surface of 5 square meters or less.
  • A large spa is one that has a water surface of more than 5 square meters.

Have your plans ready before you start.

It should take you about 10 minutes to complete.

Swimming pool or large spa

Small spa or heated pool

Help us improve this tool - let us know what you think.

 By phone

Phone us on 09 301 0101.

 In person

​Visit any one of our service centres.

You should know

If you are installing a residential pool or spa you need to make sure that you restrict access to the pool area.
Once you have installed your pool, you will need to check compliance of your new pool and pool barrier.
Your building work must:
  • comply with the building code, even if no building consent is needed
  • not damage public service drains if its foundations are close to the pipes.

 Related topics