Skip to main content
State of local emergency

For up to date information and advice, visit Auckland Emergency Management

For urgent flooding issues (buildings and infrastructure) phone 0800 22 22 00 or contact us online - Report a Problem.

For information on disruptions to our sites and facilities please, visit Facility closures

2. Prepare a consent application for a temporary structure

To avoid delays in processing your temporary consent application you should:

  • make sure your application is complete (including all plans and technical documents)
  • engage a professional (architect or consultant) to prepare your application.

Building consent applications

  • The project description must be accurate and describe all work involved in the project.
  • Provide evidence of ownership or rights over the property. If you are not the owner, provide authorisation to apply for a consent.
  • All drawings and plans need to have:
    • drawing number and title
    • designer's name
    • address of property
    • date
  • Drawings need to have an appropriate scale and clarity. Freehand sketches are not accepted. If supported by a producer statement, the plans must also be signed by the design specialist.
  • Design engineers who provide PS1 , PS2 and/or PS4 must be registered with council as a producer statement author. Design engineers who provide a producer statement – design (PS1) must also provide design calculations, specifications and construction details. Producer statements must be dated no older than 90 days.

  • All producer statement (PS3 and PS4) authors need to be listed in the Producer Statement Agreement form. If you do not know yet who they will be, list the producer statements that will be required. Authors need to supply the producer statements (certificates, etc.) after the work has been completed on site.
  • A description of the event, including the anticipated maximum occupancy, type of activity and audience size.
  • Where relevant, provide evidence of approval from the asset owner (such as Watercare or Auckland Transport) for water meters, vehicle crossings, work near or under high voltage power lines, and work near or over stormwater and sewer mains. Approval may include documents and / or video evidence.
  • Letter of authorisation from owner if application is submitted by an agent.
  • All documents provided that relate to evidence of ownership or rights over the property or authorisation to build.
  • Use the lodgement checklist to ensure you provided all the relevant information.

Incomplete applications will lead to delays.

Additional consent documentation

Your application must be accompanied by:

  • a management plan - which may be resubmitted where events are held again and there is no change to circumstances
  • site plan - including distances from boundaries and other structures on the site
  • a floor plan showing internal layouts, identifying exhibitors' stands layout, stages entrances, final exits and escape routes (and their respective widths) throughout the proposed occupied area (e.g. a tent, marquee or exhibition hall)
  • construction details of the structure showing compliance with New Zealand Building Code i.e. seating, scaffolding and staging
  • producer statement design (PS1) and construction details for temporary tents, marquees or seating structures. The PS1 must be provided by a CPENG, who specialises in structural engineering
  • where intermediate floors are proposed, a PS1 must be provided from a CPENG engineer
  • where exhibitors' partitions exceed 2.4m in height, and are not self-supporting, a specific approval is required.
  • a description of sanitary facilities, including; their number, location and description (single sex or unisex), also including disabled toilet facilities
  • where temporary seating structures are to be erected and where there is provision for more than 50 people, or where a person could fall more than 1m, provide structural calculations and a producer statement
  • a suitably qualified person must agree to supervise the erection of the structure under their control and confirm compliance with the Building Code
  • any additional safety measures that may be applicable, such as safety barriers to the edge of wharves or ramps for compliance with the 'F4 Safety from Falling' document
  • details of the 'flammability index' - which must score under 12. Flammability properties of tent and marquee material must be supplied by the tent or marquee manufacturer or supplier.
  • a fire evacuation procedure. If the intended occupancy is over 100, a fire evacuation plan may be require Fire and Emergency New Zealand approval
  • a fire safety report indicating that fire safety protection is required in the following circumstances:
    • if the proposed tent, marquee or seating structure is attached to or inside a building
    • if the occupancy exceeds 100 people
    • if there is a change of use of the building
    • where an intermediate floor is proposed in a tent or marquee.
  • the fire report must address the following items for compliance with the NZ Building Code:
    • the means of escape within the building or the event
    • required exit signage
    • emergency lighting or visibility in escape routes.

Previous applications, where exemptions have been granted, can be used again for future automatic exemptions. Where events are held that adhere to previously approved layouts, no further processing will be required, and an exemption can be granted but will be subject to an inspection. Note, however:         

  • the location must be the same as the previous event
  • the tent, marquee or seating structure must be of the same size, shape and occupant capability.

An application for exemption must be made and accompanied by supporting documentation.

Inspections and documentation

A PS3 is required for supervision when the structure is erected. Alternatively, council will arrange to inspect the work The PS3 must be issued by a suitably qualified competent person. The inspection is required prior to the event's start and before the structure is occupied.

Confirmation is also required that all safety features, as indicated in the building consent, have been installed and will be maintained in accordance with the Building Code for the duration of the event.

Resource consent application

  • All plans are drawn at 1:100 or 1:200 scale and show a north point, boundary dimensions and bearings, adjoining legal descriptions, street numbers and metric scale bars, datum point, site contours including spot levels on the relevant boundaries.
  • Provide an assessment of what you want to do against the matters set out in part 2 of the RMA and any relevant provisions of the documents referred to in section 104(1)(b) of the RMA.
  • Complete an assessment of environmental effects (AEE).
  • Provide descriptions of:
    • the activity
    • the site at which the activity will occur
    • any other activities that are part of the proposal to which the application relates
    • any other resource consents required for the proposal to which the application relates.
  • Provide the full name and address of each owner or occupier of the site.
  • Identify who might be interested in or affected by the activity and how they might be affected.
  • Complete a checklist to make sure you have all required information.