Skip to main content

Utua, tautohengia rānei tētahi whaina whare

Pay or dispute a building fine

What building fines are issued for

We issue building fines for offences listed in Schedule 1 Infringement offences and fees.

When you should pay your building fine

You must pay the amount on the building infringement notice within 28 days of the notice date, unless you write to us to dispute the fine.

You should know

If you do not pay your fine on time, we will send you a reminder notice.

If you do not respond within another 28 days, we will lodge a copy of the infringement notice with the District Court. The District Court will decide what action to take and will collect the filing fee from you.

How to pay your building fine


​If you have received the fine within the last 72 hours, it may not be ready for online payment.

If you experience any other problem, contact us with:

  • the infringement notice number
  • the payment amount
  • what stage of the payment process the problem occurred
  • the error message you received.

You can pay by Visa, MasterCard, Online EFTPOS or Account2Account (bank transfer).

You will need your infringement notice number.

At the end of the process you will get a reference number which you should keep for future reference.

Our tip

A card payment fee of 0.67 per cent applies for credit and debit card payments.

Our tip

For more information about our online services, see Website privacy policy and Terms and conditions for online services.

 In person

​How to dispute a building fine

To dispute a building fine you will need to write to us.

In your letter you need to state:

  • the date of the offence
  • the infringement notice number
  • how you are dealing with each offence listed in the notice
  • your full postal address, so we can reply
  • why you want us to reconsider the offence.

Send your letter to:

Auckland Council

  Building Control

  Private Bag 92300

  Auckland 1142

Challenge a building fine through the courts

You can challenge an infringement through the courts. This is called a defended hearing.

You have the right to request a defended hearing within 56 days of receiving the notice.

 Related topics



Inspections of building or renovation work of building or renovation workFind out what type of inspections you might need, how to book and cancel inspections and what happens during an inspection.aspxInspections
Request a building consent fee refund a building consent fee refundIf you believe that we owe you money related to your building consent or building inspections, you can request a refund. Find out how here.aspxBuilding and consents
Appeal a building consent decision a building consent decisionIf you want to appeal a building consent decision, you can apply for a determination through the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).aspxBuilding consents
Building and consent compliance and complaints and consent compliance and complaintsNot all building or consent compliance complaints are managed by us. Check who to contact to report an issue.aspxBuilding and consents
Resource consent refunds and invoices consent refunds and invoicesInformation on resource consent refunds and how to change who is refunded.aspxResource consents
Resource consent appeals and objections consent appeals and objectionsRead about resource consent conditions, how to object to a decision on a resource consent and how to appeal to the environment court. aspxResource consents