Skip to main content

Me pēhea te whakarite tono whakaaetanga ā-rawa pai

How to prepare a good quality resource consent application

Help us process your application as quickly as possible

A good quality application starts with a good quality proposal, one that includes all relevant information and documentation required for us to process your consent smoothly. This will help to reduce confusion, delay and cost, as we do not accept applications which have missing information.

We recommend you engage a professional (architect or consultant) to prepare your application, as the requirements are technical.

We offer pre-application guidance that could save you time and money later. 

Start with a good quality proposal

Your proposal is more likely to be approved if you work within council guidelines for development.

The Unitary Plan zoning descriptions help guide you on the types of activities that are expected within each zone. You will also find objectives and policies on the way your neighbourhood is expected to look.

For zone descriptions and help interpreting the rules, see what can I do in my zone?

For information on how we interpret certain parts of the Auckland Unitary Plan when considering resource consent applications, see practice and guidance notes on the Auckland Design Manual website.

See Plan Change 78: Intensification for information on the new housing density standard provisions included in the Auckland Unitary Plan.

Best practice design

The Auckland Design Manual provides advice on design elements such as site layout, privacy, outdoor spaces and designing for the sun:

Consider stormwater in your plans

If you are planning a development, we may be able to authorise the discharge of stormwater under our regionwideNetwork Discharge Consent (NDC).

The NDC sets out a range of requirements for connecting to the stormwater network and assets to be vested to the council.

For large developments or subdivisions, prepare your stormwater management plan in consultation with us as early as possible, prior to designing your site layout if possible. 

For more information about stormwater and the NDC, see Consider stormwater when building or email our Healthy Waters team.

What’s in a good quality application

A good quality application includes all the information required for all consents and approvals for your project. A resource consent is required when you do not comply with a rule in:

  • the Unitary Plan
  • other relevant legislation such as a National Environmental Standard
  • a legacy district Plan that still has legal effect.

It is important that your application accurately identifies all of the reasons that your project will need resource consent.

See the Unitary Plan (Chapter H Zones) for the rules in your zone, however, if your property is subject to any Overlays, Precincts or other features such as flooding or instability, there will be other rules that apply to your site. You will need to demonstrate that you comply with these or state that you are applying for consent.

Your consent application must include an Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE). An AEE is a written statement identifying the effects of your proposed activity on the environment, and information on how you intend to negate or modify these effects.

If you are not an approved credit account customer, you will need to complete a resource consent application declaration.

Your application will usually be processed faster if you have approached neighbours for their written approval.

If you are applying for a resource consent online, follow the Guidelines for resource consent online applications.

Resource consent newsletter

 Sign up to receive our resource consent newsletter.

National Environmental Standards (NES)

NES are nationwide regulations made under the Resource Management Act 1991, separate from the resource consent process.

They set out planning requirements and technical standards on a variety of specified activities that have an effect the environment, including forestry, freshwater use, electricity transmission and more.

If your proposed activity is regulated by an NES, a permitted activity notice may be required before you start. There may also be requirements for ongoing monitoring and reporting to us.

For more information, see National Environmental Standards - permitted activities.

 Related topics



National Environmental Standards - permitted activities Environmental Standards - permitted activitiesNES are nationally-consistent regulations that set technical levels of quality that must be reached on a variety of activities affecting the environment. These activities include forestry freshwater use and more.aspxBuilding and consents Environment consultation
Apply for a resource consent for a resource consentFind out how to apply for a resource consent.aspxResource consents
Resource consent fees and deposits (plus notices of requirement and private plan change requests) consent fees and deposits (plus notices of requirement and private plan change requests)Find out how much it will cost to apply for a resource consent application.aspxResource consents
Cultural values assessments (CVA) values assessments (CVA)Check if you need a Cultural Values Assessment before you apply for a resource consent.aspxResource consents
Engaging with mana whenua with mana whenuaFind out why mana whenua may need to be consulted when applying for a resource consent.aspxResource consents
Guidelines for online resource consent applications for online resource consent applicationsCheck what the document format and naming standards are for making an online resource consent application.aspxResource consents