Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 3

At Alert Level 3: Step 2 you can travel throughout Auckland for exercise and recreation outdoors. Our early childhood centres are open for enrolled children only.

Some customer-facing facilities like service centres and community centres are now open. Essential services continue.

Use the NZ COVID Tracer app, wear a face covering, maintain a 2m physical distance, wash your hands, and stay home if you are sick. For information about council services and closures, see the COVID-19 section

Learn more about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19. See OurAuckland

Whare mirimiri, hākinakina, hōpua kaukau, mahi horoinga ā-whēkau

Massage clinics, gyms, swimming pools, colon hydrotherapy

The following businesses do not require health protection licence to operate:

  • Public swimming pools.
  • Fitness centres and gyms.
  • Colon hydrotherapy clinics.
  • Commercial sex industry (brothels).
  • Massage clinics.

All of these businesses must still meet the standards of the Health and Hygiene Bylaw 2013 and our codes of practice.

How to open a new business

Your new business may need a resource consent and/or building consent before it can begin to operate.

Before you open new premises, you need to:

  • Check with one of our planning officers if it is appropriate for you to operate your business at the address. Some areas of the city are zoned to prevent commercial activity. Our planners will also advise you about operating requirements in the area, including parking and lighting. Please contact us to discuss your plans.
  • Get a building consent. You will need this if you are building a new premises or altering an existing building. Examples of work that needs building consent include: building and plumbing alterations, partitions and ventilation.

Contact us to discuss your plans.


 Related topics



Signs you own a business and you want to put up a business sign, check which signs you are able to display in your area.aspxSigns
Install, check, repair or replace a residential swimming pool or spa, check, repair or replace a residential swimming pool or spaCheck if you need a consent to put in or remove a pool or spa. Information on pool inspections. View pool safety videos and find out how to apply for a consent.aspxSwimming and spa pools
Health and beauty businesses - Codes of practice and beauty businesses - Codes of practiceHealth and beauty businesses must follow certain codes of practice.aspxHealth licensing
Health and Hygiene Bylaw 2013 and Hygiene Bylaw 2013Find out what this bylaw does, which commercial services require a licence, and view or download a copy of the bylaw.aspxBylaw
Complain about a health and beauty business about a health and beauty businessComplaints and concerns about a health and beauty business.aspxHealth, beauty, leisure and hygiene
Health and beauty licence fees and beauty licence feesAssess and register health protection and hairdresser’s licences as providing either a single basic, multiple basic, single high risk or multiple high risk services.aspxHealth, beauty, leisure and hygiene