The Unitary Plan guides the use of Auckland's natural and physical resources, including land development, by determining:
- what can be built and where
- how to create a higher quality and more compact Auckland
- how to provide for rural activities
- how to maintain the marine environment.
For the full plan and planning maps, see Downloads.
The Unitary Plan includes:
- regional policy statement
- regional coastal plan
- regional plan
- district plan - the district plan applies throughout Auckland, except the Hauraki Gulf Islands.
The Unitary Plan replaces:
- the former Regional Policy Statement
- 12 district and regional plans.
The plan does not replace the Auckland Council District Plan Hauraki Gulf Islands Section - Operative 2013.