Items you can put in your recycling
- Plastic bottles from your kitchen, bathroom and laundry.
- Clear plastic food containers.
- Glass bottles and jars.
- Aluminium cans and empty aerosols.
- Steel and tin cans.
- Milk and juice cartons.
- Egg cartons.
- Paper and cardboard packaging.
- Newspapers, magazines, advertising mail and envelopes.
Items you cannot put in your recycling
- Plastic bags.
- Food and garden waste.
- Chemicals and hazardous waste.
- Polystyrene takeaway containers and meat trays.
- Batteries. Lithium based batteries can explode and have been known to cause fires in recycling trucks.
- Nappies and sanitary products.
- Clothing, shoes and textiles.
- Window glass, mirror glass and light bulbs.
- Cookware, Pyrex and drinking glasses.
- Electronic and electrical items.
- Building waste.
- Medical waste.
For items not on this list, see How to get rid of unwanted items.
You can also see the Recycling guide.