Skip to main content

Ngā Whakaaetanga Whakamahi Maha ā-Motu

National Multiple-Use Approvals

A National Multiple-Use Approval (NMU) is a statement that a set of plans and specifications for a building complies with the Building Code. They are also known as a Multi-Proof.

Who will need a National Multiple-Use Approval​

A National Multiple-Use Approval (NMU) is issued by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment and are helpful for builders and companies that build standardised designs, such as:

  • modular units
  • sheds
  • garages
  • relocatable classrooms.

The NMU can reduce the assessment time needed in the building consent process.

NMU approval and building consents

If you have a NMU you still need to apply for a building consent. 

NMU approval only covers the design of a product or building, and although it may include some elements of a manufacturer’s quality control processes, it does not certify that the product will comply with the NZ Building Code.

If a manufacturing component is not pre-certified, and if the manufacturing occurs within Auckland and is defined as building work, then its use will be considered using conventional building consents with conventional inspection regimes.

For more information, see the "Manufactured modular component guidance" document.

​How to use a National Multiple-Use Approval

We will check site conditions, foundations, drainage and utilities, then confirm if the proposed design meets the conditions of the NMU approval.

You will need to submit a copy of the NMU approval and any site work plans (including elevation and plan views), along with other relevant information, when you submit your application for a building consent.

We have 10 working days to grant or refuse a building consent with a NMU approval.


 Related topics



Inspections of building or renovation work of building or renovation workFind out what type of inspections you might need, how to book and cancel inspections and what happens during an inspection.aspxInspections
Temporary structures structuresFind out about temporary structures, if they need a building or resource consent, and how to get one.aspxBuilding and consents
Relocate a building a buildingFind out what consents need to relocate a building and what you need before you apply. aspxBuilding consents Resource consents
Apply for a building consent for a building consentFind out how to apply for a building consent and view the relevant fees. aspxBuilding consents
Modular components and buildings components and buildingsBuildings built from modular components, such as shipping containers, are an increasingly popular option for commercial and residential use.aspxBuilding and consents