Skip to main content

Whakahōutia anō ngā papa pātū o tō kāinga

Re-clad your home

The exterior cladding or envelope is a protective layer of materials that separates a building's structure and interior from exterior elements.

​Check if you need a consent to re-clad your home

To re-clad means to replace any part of the exterior envelope because your property has weather-tightness issues or for cosmetic purposes.

You will need to apply for a building consent to carry out re-cladding work, even if the new cladding is the same as the one being removed. Your building consent application will list quite a few inspections.

You won't need to apply for resource consent to carry out re-cladding work, unless your property is in a special character area.

​When applying for a building consent regarding re-cladding, you will also need to complete the AC2329 form.

​What needs to happen before the works start

You will need to have an onsite pre-construction meeting to discuss the programme of work. The following people must attend:

  • project manager
  • builder
  • owner/agent
  • relevant consultants that you have engaged
  • our building control inspection officer involved with the inspections.

Our tip

You need to book this meeting at least three working days in advance.

The same group of people would also need to be present at the strip-off inspection.

Types of inspections you will need

The Re-clad Specialist team carries out the inspections in the exact order for you to receive your Code Compliance Certificate (CCC):

  1. Pre-construction site meeting (before the work starts)
  2. Strip-off inspection (after you have removed the original cladding and building wraps, but before removing any damaged framing)
  3. Remedial works inspection (after you have repaired all affected elements on the building and before they are covered over)
  4. Pre-wrap, nib, wall/cavity, substrate, insulation, fire-rating and painting inspections
  5. Cladding inspection
  6. Painting check before scaffolding is removed
  7. Final inspection

Our tip

You need to book the re-cladding inspection at a separate time from the standard inspections.

 Related topics



Apply for a building consent for a building consentFind out how to apply for a building consent and view the relevant fees. aspxBuilding consents
Building consent fees and charges consent fees and chargesView fees and charges when applying for a building consent.aspxBuilding consents
Building inspections inspectionsFind out who carries out inspections, who should be present at the inspections and when to book. aspxInspections
Apply for a minor variation to your building consent for a minor variation to your building consentIf you are making changes to a building consent, find out if you need to submit a minor variation.aspxBuilding consents
Altering an existing building an existing buildingWhat to do if you intend to alter your existing building.aspxBuilding consents