COVID-19 Orange setting – Building inspections
Building inspections can be carried out only at sites that demonstrate compliance with COVID-19 construction protocols as described on the
All our inspectors carrying out inspections onsite are fully vaccinated and will have their My Vaccine Pass available for verification. Virtual inspections may be possible on a case-by-case basis. To minimise the risk of virus transmission we encourage the use of remote technology-assisted inspections using Artisan or Zyte apps. Our inspectors will contact sites before inspection to confirm site protocol compliance and whether a remote inspection is right for your build.
On the morning of the inspection, an inspector will call you to discuss any specific health and safety requirements relating to your site. These will include the following:
• There will be specific requirements to ensure our inspectors are safe while carrying out inspections if your site does not have a mandatory vaccination policy. You may have to vacate the inspection area and access pathway.
• Customers accompanying the inspector on a site must be fully vaccinated. They may be asked to provide proof of this by the inspector before entering the site.
• Enclosed spaces and indoors areas must be well ventilated. We can provide more details beforehand. As a general rule, openings to the outside which creates a noticeable air cross-flow, should provide sufficient air changes to the area an inspection to continue. In some cases, mechanical fans may be required to ensure sufficient air circulation.
• Signing in and out protocols. It is mandatory to use the official NZ COVID Tracer app.
• Standard safety induction requirements.
• Health checks or declarations.
• Any specific personal protective equipment required.
• Any special rules relating to working areas such as one direction stairways, maximum number of people on ladders, scaffolding, lifts etc.
The health and safety requirements to follow for a safe inspection are:
• Hand sanitising or washing stations must be provided at the site entrance for the inspector to use.
• Physical distancing of 1m must be strictly adhered to.
• Work areas or zones where inspections will take place must be cleared of workers during the inspection. It's not required that the whole site is cleared, only the areas where the inspector is visiting.
The inspector will leave site if any workers are showing symptoms or signs of illness, or COVID H7S protocols are not followed.
Provide documentation requested by an inspector by email or messaging.
You will receive a briefing from the inspector regarding the outcome of the inspection. This will be done either using the 1m physical distancing rules onsite, or by phone after the inspection. The inspection outcome statement and checklist will be emailed to you at the conclusion of the inspection.
Tonohia, whakakorengia rānei tētahi ārohi whare
Book or cancel a building inspection
You should know
The building consent office will be closed from 12pm(noon) on Tuesday 22 December 2020 to Tuesday 5 January 2021.
No inspections will take place during this shut down period.
We anticipate that service levels will return to normal from Wednesday 6 January 2021.
In the meantime, check for next-day availability online, as we do get last-minute cancellations.
We appreciate your patience during this busy time.
What inspections are needed
Your building consent will list all the inspections required, but additional inspections are often needed, due to:
- the nature of the project (every building consent application is different so the type and number of inspections will vary)
- change of products or design after the consent is issued
- failing an inspection and needing to re-book at additional cost
- the inspection exceeding the allocated time of 45 minutes.
If your inspection takes longer than the allocated time, you may have to pay additional charges.
Learn more about the types of inspection available from our online inspection glossary.
Inspection limits per customer
From 1 April 2021 inspection bookings are limited to a maximum of four inspections at any one time for each consent (residential or commercial).
You can book more inspections once your older bookings are completed.
For more information contact 09 301 0101 and ask to speak to the Inspection Team Leader for your area.
How to book an inspection
You can now book:
- a simple, one-off inspection
- a group of different inspections types for a single property.
From 1 April 2021 we will no longer offer a repeat series of site meeting inspections as a booking option.
If you want to book more than six inspections on the same day, we cannot guarantee your first choice of inspection time and may not be able to complete them on the same day.
Inspections must be booked before 1pm if the inspection is required for the next day.
If the building consent is older than 10 years, there is a three-day notice period to book a final inspection while we review the documentation.
We will confirm a time for you within 24 hours.
You can book online or over the phone.
Have the following information ready:
Book a building inspection online
- address for inspection
- building consent number (this is a unique number given to each building consent)
- name and contact number of person who will be on site.
Phone us on 09 301 0101 and have the following information ready:
Cancel a building inspection
Phone us on 09 301 0101 or use our
online tool to cancel your building inspection.
cancel your inspection later than midday on the day before it is scheduled, you will still be charged the full inspection fee.
Check a building inspection's status
If you booked online, you can check to see if a building inspection passed, failed or is waiting on a decision.
Check inspection status
Check a building consent status
If you applied for a building consent using our website, or have been invited to view the details of a consent, you can do this online.
Check a building consent
You should know
Licensed Building Practitioners must have their licence on site at the time of the inspection.
|Tracking the progress of your consent application||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/tracking-paying-consent-application/Pages/tracking-progress-consent-application.aspx||Tracking the progress of your consent application||Find out how to track the progress of your consent application.||aspx||Building and consents|
|Pay a consent invoice||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/tracking-paying-consent-application/Pages/pay-consent-invoice.aspx||Pay a consent invoice||Find out how to pay a building consent, resource consent or regulatory engineering invoice.||aspx||Building consents|
|Request a consent fee refund||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/tracking-paying-consent-application/Pages/request-consent-fee-refund.aspx||Request a consent fee refund||If you believe that we owe you money related to your building consent or building inspections, you can request a refund. Find out how here.||aspx||Building and consents|
|Restricted building work that needs to be done by a professional||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-consents/Pages/restricted-building-work-done-by-professional.aspx||Restricted building work that needs to be done by a professional||Check if the work you want done needs to be done by a building professional. ||aspx||Building consents|
|Types of building inspections||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/inspections-building-renovation-work/Pages/types-of-building-inspections.aspx||Types of building inspections||Check what type of inspections are there and which ones are listed in your building consent. ||aspx||Inspections|
|Building inspections||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/inspections-building-renovation-work/Pages/building-inspections.aspx||Building inspections||Find out who carries out inspections, who should be present at the inspections and when to book. ||aspx||Inspections|