Skip to main content

He rāhui whakawātea momo mahi hanga whare mā te mātanga kaikāmura tonu e hanga

Restricted building work that needs to be done by a professional

Understand when you need a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) to carry out building work.

What restricted building work is

If your building work is critical to the foundational integrity of your home, it may be categorised as restricted building work. This type of work ensures a property is structurally sound (solid and well-made) and weathertight.

Who can do restricted building work?

You need to use a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) to design, carry out or supervise restricted building work.

You must complete a  Certificate of Design Work (CoW) and include it in your building consent application. The CoW must supplied by an LBP who has designed, or supervised the design of the restricted building work.

You should know

We can send your consent application back if your building project includes restricted building work and you have not included a CoW in your application.

Your responsibilities as a homeowner

It is your responsibility as the homeowner to check that the people you are using to do your restricted building work have the relevant licence.

LBPs can only complete restricted building work that they are licensed to carry out. For example, a licensed roofer cannot complete bricklaying or foundational work. It is important that you check with them that they have the relevant licence before you start your work.

If the LBP and the homeowner do not fulfil their restricted building work requirements, we may stop the work by issuing a ‘Notice to fix’ or a warning. If the work is not carried out by, or done under the supervision of a LBP, both parties could be fined up to $20,000.​

Licensed Building Practitioners (LBPs)

LBPs are people who have shown through assessment that they meet the standard of skill and competence required in particular areas of building practice.

They are assessed before getting a licence, and need to keep their knowledge up-to-date to be relicensed.

They include:

  • designers
  • registered architects (automatically treated as Design LBPs)
  • chartered professional engineers (automatically treated as Design LBPs)
  • carpenters
  • roofers
  • bricklayers and blocklayers
  • external plasterers
  • foundation layers.

There are separate licences for each of these building practitioners which recognise that they are competent in their specialist areas. Some tradespeople may have more than one licence.

Check that people you employ have the relevant licences

Check the people you hire to do your restricted building work have the relevant licence.

LBPs can only complete restricted building work for which they are licensed. It is important you check with them that they have the relevant licence before you start your work.

For more information, visit the Licensed Building Practitioners website or read the restricted building work and licensed building practitioners brochure.

​Documentation of completed work

LBPs need to submit a record of work on completion of their building work. They must also give you (the owner or an agent acting on your behalf) a copy for your records.

You should know

We can refuse to issue a Code Compliance Certificate if the restricted building work has not been completed or supervised by a LBP.

 Related topics



Temporary structures structuresFind out about temporary structures, if they need a building or resource consent, and how to get one.aspxBuilding and consents
Owner-builder exemption for restricted building work exemption for restricted building workBefore you apply for an owner-builder exemption, make sure you understand what is required.aspxBuilding consents
Engage a professional to help with your consent application or project a professional to help with your consent application or project The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website has information about getting professional help to prepare your resource consent application. aspxResource consents
Notify us of your Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) us of your Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP)Find out how to notify us of Licensed Building Practitioners (LBPs) doing, or supervising, your restricted building work.aspxBuilding and consents
Report faulty building work online faulty building work onlineUse our form to report faulty building work.Online formaspxBuilding and consents
Check that your tradespeople have the relevant licences that your tradespeople have the relevant licencesYou need to make sure that anyone carrying out or supervising your restricted building work has the relevant licence.aspxBuilding and consents