Skip to main content
Auckland Council
Water conservation efforts
More How we are reducing water usage across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater conservation efforts

Working on or around protected trees

Ko te mahi i waenga ake, horapa noa rānei i te rākau rāhui

​Get a resource consent to work on or around protected trees

You should know

If a tree is protected through district plan rules, you will need to apply for a resource consent to cut it down, work around it, trim or prune it, as the work may destroy it or cause irreparable damage to it.
If you do not obtain a consent, we may fine you up to $250,000, under the Resource Management Act, for the works near a protected tree, like:
  • excavation
  • construction (including decks, fences and retaining walls)
  • depositing material
  • storing material beneath branches and around roots, and other.

​Get an arborist's report for extensive works

If the works you are proposing are extensive and you need a resource consent, you may also need an arborist's report written by a qualified arborist

The arborist report should include at the minimum:

  • the infringements Auckland Unitary Plan
  • any existing cleared area on site in square meters
  • any proposed vegetation clearance levels in square meters
  • all affected proposed vegetation identified and located on a tree site plan (in bush sites include bush lines and plot canopy species)
  • Outline of proposal and construction methodology, including machinery use and access
  • Arboricultural assessment on these works (effects on vegetation)
  • suggested tree protection methodologies
  • (Kauri Dieback) measures
  • proposed replanting and maintenance schedule
  • weed control.

If you would like to carry out works to or around protected trees, you may also need documents like, an ecological and/or landscape report.

Get professional advice

If you are planning to work on or around protected trees, visit the New Zealand Arboricultural Association (NZ Arb) for advice on engaging a professional.