Te hoahoa, hanganga me te wāhi e tū ai te pakihi mahi kai
Design, construction and layout of a food business site
Considerations for the design, construction and location of your food business site
The design, construction and location of your food business site needs to:
- be appropriate for the purpose for which it is used
- provide enough space for the activities in the food business and for the fixtures, fittings and equipment
- allow effective cleaning, sanitising and maintenance
- keep out dust, dirt, fumes, smoke, pests and other contaminants.
What you need to consider for the size and layout of your food business site
- Ensure your staff, visitors and kai can move in a way that prevents or manages the risk of contaminating the kai.
- Provide adequate floor space for workers - this is essential for better operation and easier cleaning.
- Have enough bench space for food preparation, cooling and reheating.
- Separate areas to prevent cross contamination of food. This includes cooked and uncooked food and storage of dry goods. For the kitchen and preparation and storage areas, consider:
- food storage
- a wash up area
- a cooking and preparation area
- a dry preparation area
- refrigeration and freezers.
- Provide adequate toilet facilities, for staff and customers, that do not open directly into a food area.
- Store chemicals and cleaning equipment separately.
- Provide waste handling facilities and storage space for rubbish, waste cooking oil and recyclable materials.
- Install fly screens on doors and windows to control insects, birds and other food pests.
How floors should be designed in a food business site
Floors must be designed and constructed in a way that is appropriate for the activities conducted at your food business. This also applies for walk in cool rooms and freezers.
Floors at your food business site must:
- be easy to clean
- not absorb grease, food particles or water
- prevent water ponding
- prevent harbourage for pests
- be coved with walls to help prevent the build-up of dirt, grease, etc., at the wall and floor junctions.
Floors that are subject to flooding and wet operations have to be graded and drained to an approved waste outlet.
How walls and ceilings should be designed in a food business site
The walls and ceilings of your food business site need to:
- be designed and constructed in a way that is appropriate for the activities conducted on your business site
- protect kai from contamination
- be sealed to prevent the entry of dirt, dust and pests
- not absorb of grease, food particles or water
- be easy to clean
- prevent vermin harbourage.
|Advice before you start||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/ask-for-guidance||Advice before you start||If you are unsure about what you need to know or do before you apply for a building or resource consent, get in touch with us. We're here to help.||aspx||Building and consents|
|Building consents||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-consents||Building consents||Information on building consents, including; how to apply, fees, certificates you need, changing a consent, checklists, appeals, producer statements, CCC, licensed building practitioners and more.||aspx||Building and consents|
|Food Safety Information Bylaw 2020||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/bylaws/Pages/food-safety-bylaw.aspx||Food Safety Information Bylaw 2020||This bylaw lays out standards for businesses that sell food to the public to prevent illnesses and ensure food is safe.||aspx||Bylaw|
|Complaints about a food business||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/Pages/complaint-food-business.aspx||Complaints about a food business||Find out how to make a complaint about a food business.||aspx||Food|
|Apply for verification for your food business||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/inspections-for-your-food-business.aspx||Apply for verification for your food business||All registered food businesses need to be checked. This is referred to as verification.||aspx||Food business registration|
|Fixtures, fittings and equipment at food business sites||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/food-business-sites-codes-of-practice/Pages/fixtures-fittings-equipment-food-business.aspx||Fixtures, fittings and equipment at food business sites||Find out how to adequately design, construct, locate and install fixtures, fittings and equipment at a food business site.||aspx||Food business registration|