Rules for driving on Muriwai and Karioitahi beaches
Ture mō te taraiwa i tātahi
Beach driving permits
To drive on Muriwai and Karioitahi beaches, you must hold a beach driving permit, which you need to renew each year. See apply for a beach driving permit or renew a beach driving permit.
Road rules on beaches
Under the law, beaches are legal roads, so all road rules apply.
- speed limits
- licensing of drivers
- vehicle registration and warrant of fitness
- alcohol use
- driving behaviour.
Beaches are policed. You must carry a photo ID and your beach driving permit when you use your vehicle on the beach.
Speed limits on beaches
- Muriwai Beach from southern boundary of Motutara Road to 650m north of Coast Road access: 30km/h.
- Muriwai Beach from 650m north of Coast Road access to southern extent of New Zealand Defence Force bombing range: 60km/h.
- Karioitahi Beach from 1000m north of Karioitahi Road to 1000m south of Karioitahi Road: 20km/h.
- Beyond these areas: 100km/h.
Beach driving guidelines
- Take safety equipment, including a spade and a rope.
- Always drive with headlights on.
- Stick to the hard part of the beach below the high tide line. Check tide times before you go out.
- Access to the beach is limited to three hours either side of low tide.
- Look out for partially submerged objects.
- Stay off the dunes - fragile dune systems are damaged by vehicle use.
- Always slow down when there are people or animals around.
- Be aware of shorebirds nesting at high tide.
- You must always have your beach driving permit when you are driving on the beach - having it on your mobile phone or device is fine.
You should know
Driving on all other beaches is prohibited, except to launch or retrieve a boat or in emergency situations.
For launching or retrieving a boat:
- there must be an appropriate way for your vehicle to access the beach, such as a boat ramp
- you must drive directly to the launch and retrieval spot
- you must not exceed 10km/h
- you must remove the vehicle as soon as the boat is launched or retrieved.
|Apply for a permit to drive on Muriwai and Karioitahi beaches||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/driving-on-beaches/Pages/apply-for-beach-driving-permit-muriwai-karioitahi-beaches.aspx||Apply for a permit to drive on Muriwai and Karioitahi beaches||Find out how to apply for a beach driving permit for Muriwai and Karioitahi beaches.||aspx|
|Renew a beach driving permit||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/driving-on-beaches/Pages/renew-beach-driving-permit.aspx||Renew a beach driving permit||Find out how to renew a beach driving permit for Muriwai and Karioitahi beaches.||aspx|