Skip to main content
COVID-19 information For all COVID-19 information, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website at
Visit OurAuckland to learn about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19
Get the latest information about council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 information
Auckland Council

How do I know if noise is excessive or unreasonable?

Me pēhea au e mōhio ai kua neke noa atu, kua whakaaro kore rawa rānei te turituri?

Excessive noise

Excessive noise is any noise that is under human control and unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort and convenience of any person.

This is defined under Section 326 of the Resource Management Act.

Examples of excessive noise include:

  • a loud party
  • loud amplified music
  • band practices
  • loud alarm or machinery.

There are no set times of day or decibel levels for excessive noise. We assess each complaint on a case-by-case basis.

See construction and maintenance noise if you're concerned about noisy construction.

When you make a noise complaint, we send a noise control officer to the site to investigate and determine if noise is excessive.

Call us to report excessive noise on 09 301 0101, while the noise is happening.

Unreasonable noise

We take a series of noise readings using a sound level meter to establish whether there is a breach against the district plan noise levels.

If requests to reduce noise to a reasonable level are ignored, we can issue an abatement notice and take action against the offender.

This is defined under Section 16 of the Resource Management Act.

Examples of unreasonable noise include:

  • a loud bar or nightclub
  • a factory or industrial noise
  • mechanical noise such as heat pumps and ventilation fans.

Contact us to find out the noise levels permitted in your area.

 Related topics