Skip to main content
Water restrictions Restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions

How to prevent a noise complaint

Me pēhea te ārai amuamu mahi turituri

You can't get a noise permit for parties or playing your stereo at excessive levels.

  • There are some things you can do to reduce noise and show consideration for your neighbours:
  • Let your neighbours know in advance about an upcoming party or invite them to the party.
  • Tell your neighbours of planned work on your section that may be noisy.
  • Minimise noise from your property by keeping doors or windows closed.
  • Turn down noise at a reasonable hour at night.
  • Use noisy equipment such as chain saws only during the day.
  • Make sure your burglar alarm stops ringing after 15 minutes - check your reserve batteries are fully charged.
  • Install and maintain your car and burglar alarm correctly so they are not overly sensitive or faulty.

To find out the noise levels permitted in your area, call 09 301 0101 during working hours and ask to speak to a noise specialist.

 Related topics



How do I know if noise is excessive or unreasonable? do I know if noise is excessive or unreasonable?Excessive noise is that under human control that affects the comfort of any person. We establish whether noise is unreasonable using a sound level meter.aspx
Ongoing problems with noise problems with noiseFor recurring noise problems, call 09 301 0101 during working hours and ask to speak to a compliance noise specialist.aspx
Western Springs noise monitoring results Springs noise monitoring resultsWe monitor noise generated by speedway meetings and concerts regularly, when events take place. aspx
Complain about noise about noiseHow to complain about noise and what happens once your complaint has been made.aspx
Construction and maintenance noise and maintenance noiseWhen and where construction, DIY and handyman noise is allowed.aspx