Street trading and performance


Do I need a fundraising licence?

Public places

You need to be a registered charity and have a fundraising licence if you want to fundraise in a public place.

This includes asking for donations, collections or subscriptions. 

You may not need food registration to sell food while fundraising for a specific cause. You may prepare and sell food up to 20 times a year without the need to register. Visit the Ministry for Primary Industries website and search for the Fundraising and community events page.

We discourage barbecuing in public places.

If you're a large charity and wish to check that your activities don't clash with other not-for-profit groups, visit the Public Fund Raising Association.

Private property

If you don’t want to apply for a fundraising licence, or you're not a registered charity, you could operate from private land such as a supermarket car park.

You don't need a licence to fundraise and may not need food registration to sell food for fundraising (e.g. cake stall, lemonade stand, barbecue) on private land, but you do need the owner’s permission.

You may prepare and sell food up to 20 times a year without the need to register. For more information, see Fundraising and community events.

What is a public place?

A public place is any site that Auckland Council or a council controlled organisation own, manage or maintain, and is open for use to the public.

Public spaces include roads, footpaths, public squares, grass verges, public gardens, reserves, parks, beaches, wharves, access ways and sports fields.

Applying for a fundraising licence

There is no fee for a fundraising licence.

1. Gather supporting documents

Before you apply you will need to have:

  • your registered charity number
  • a description of your proposed activity
  • the locations you want to collect from. If you don't know the exact location, let us know a general suburb - see the pre-approved collection sites (PDF 192KB)
  • a description of any products you might be offering in exchange for donations (such as stickers).

2. Pay the fee and apply for a licence

Apply and pay online

You will need to login to complete an online application form.

You can pay by MasterCard, Visa or Account2Account (bank transfer).

Apply and pay in person

Download and fill in an application form:

Application form for fundraising (PDF 71KB)

You can also pick up or drop off your application at any of our service centres and pay by cash, cheque, eftpos, MasterCard or Visa.

If posting your application, include a cheque. Post to:

Licensing and Compliance Services
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

We process applications within 10 working days, if you have provided all required information.

Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.