Street trading and performance

Handing out promotional material

We are responsible for making sure people can enjoy public spaces without being harassed, and for keeping it clean and tidy. 

Licensing promotional activities in public spaces means we can control what goes on in public space and keep the public’s best interest first. 

Do I need a licence 

If you are distributing samples or flyers in a public space to promote something, you will need a licence from us.

Even if you are not promoting a commercial venture you will still need a licence.

If you are promoting a religion, you may not need a licence. You need to:

  • let us know you are planning to promote your religion in a public place
  • consider where to set up so you do not interfere with traffic flow
  • contact us so we can give you some advice.

You need to apply for a licence for each promotion, you cannot renew or transfer your licence for this activity.

If you would like to hand out flyers, vouchers or samples outside of your shop or business on public space, you will need to get a licence.

This licence does not permit the sale of any goods or materials. Trading in a public space requires a mobile trading licence.

What is public space

A public place is any site that Auckland Council or a council-controlled organisation own, manage or maintain, and is open for use to the public.

Public space includes roads, footpaths, public squares, grass verges, public gardens, reserves, parks, beaches, wharves, access ways and sports fields.

There are some exemptions where council-controlled organisations give permission independently. Contact us to find out more.

Request a pre-application meeting

You can request one free pre-application meeting with an inspector. This could be a phone call, a site visit or an office meeting at a council building.

Contact us to request a meeting.

Apply for a licence

There are two fee components for a licence:

  • A $60 non-refundable application fee.
  • A $75 licence fee per distributor site.

Apply and pay online

You will need to login to complete an online application form.

You can pay by MasterCard, Visa or Account2Account (bank transfer).

Apply and pay in person

Download and fill in an application form:

Application form for a distribution of promotional goods licence (PDF 74KB) (also available from our service centres)

You can drop off your application at any of our service centres and pay by cash, cheque, eftpos, MasterCard or Visa.

If posting your application, include a cheque. Post to:

Licensing and Compliance Services
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.