Check if you need a consent
If you're thinking about building or renovating, you may need to apply for a building consent, resource consent, or both.
How we can help
We have developed a new online tool to help you check if you need a building and resource consent for some common building projects:
- garden sheds
- sleep-outs or cabins
For all other projects, contact us or visit a service centre to find out if you need a consent.
Before you start
You will need to know:
- the size of your property
- details of your planned project - location on the site, height, total area and planned materials
- your Auckland Unitary Plan zone - see GeoMaps to find out.
- whether any Unitary Plan controls apply to your property such as precincts or overlays. You can find this in GeoMaps (left hand column under your zoning). If additional controls apply, you will need to contact us or talk to a professional to find out if you need a consent.
How the tool works
You will need to answer a set of questions. This will help you understand:
- if you need a consent
- what kind of consent(s) you need
- what you should do next.
Every time you make changes to your project plan, you should re-visit the tool to check if the same result applies.
It should take you about 10 minutes to complete.
Feedback about the tool
We are expanding this online tool to include more projects.
Help us improve this tool - let us know what you think.