Building consent

Certificates and compliance

Auckland Council is currently experiencing an unusually high number of applications for building consents and code compliance certificates (CCCs).

Due to the exceptionally large volumes, and recent changes to our systems, there may be delays in processing your request. We will endeavour to process requests as quickly as possible but this may not be within the usual timeframes. We appreciate your patience with any application during this busy time and will keep you updated on progress.


Building project

At the end of a building project we will issue a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) if we are satisfied the completed building work complies with the original building consent.

In some circumstances you may need to apply for a Certificate for Public Use or Certificate of Acceptance, as well as, or instead of a CCC. You will also need alcohol licensing building and planning certificates If you plan to sell alcohol on the premises.

There may also be ongoing checks for compliance, as set out in a compliance schedule.

On this page you'll find information about applying for certificates and demonstrating compliance with the Building Act 2004.

Code Compliance Certificate

To request a CCC, complete the code compliance certificate application form (PDF 191KB) within 60 days after your final inspection.

Please include:

  • names and contact details of all people involved in your project (for example builders, plumbers, engineers etc)
  • supporting documentation, such as energy work certificates or a PS4 (engineers' producer statement - construction review)
  • any additional documentation requested during inspections
  • the producer statement
  • payment for all fees (view the Fees and Charges document (PDF 291KB)).

We may refuse to issue a code compliance certificate if:

  • the work is not completed or does not comply with your building consent
  • you fail to supply the required documentation
  • a final inspection has not been completed in under 60 days prior to the application.

We process applications within 20 working days. However, as with building consent applications, the ‘clock’ will stop if your application requires additional inspections, documentation or fees, and will restart when the issue has been resolved.

If the building has specified systems such as fire alarms, sprinklers and elevators that have been added, removed or altered, we will also issue a compliance schedule with the CCC.

Certificate of Acceptance

A Certificate of Acceptance (COA) provides a limited assurance that the council is satisfied on reasonable grounds that unconsented building work complies with the current New Zealand Building Code.

You can apply for a COA for all or part of a building. You may need to provide evidence (usually from a professional) to help us assess how the work complies with the current New Zealand Building Code, particularly for building work the council cannot inspect, such as foundations.

Any building works that cannot be verified as complying with the building code will be listed on the certificate of acceptance as exclusions.

If you can't demonstrate compliance with the building code, the council may refuse to issue a COA, and you may also need to remove the building work.

It is an offence to carry out building work for which a building consent is required.

Issuing a COA for unauthorised building works does not limit us from taking further enforcement action.

Before you can apply for a COA you must attend a pre-application meeting. To request a pre-application meeting, fill in and submit the online pre-application meeting request form.

When we confirm your pre-application meeting, the responsible officer may request additional information or documents. You should provide these at least three working days before the meeting.

Once you've attended a pre-application meeting, and satisfied any preliminary requirements, you can apply for a COA using the certificate of acceptance application form (PDF 364KB).

Return the completed form with any supporting material to any service centre, or by post to:

Building Control
Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

Certificate for Public Use

If you want to start using premises before a code compliance certificate is issued, you can apply for a Certificate for Public Use. This certificate enables members of the public to use the premises until a CCC is granted.

Certificates for public use can only be used where a consent has been granted for the building work, but no code compliance certificate has been issued yet.

Anyone who owns, occupies or controls premises intended for public use may apply for a certificate for public use.

To apply, please download, complete and return the AC2106 Application for certificate for public use (PDF 128KB).

We will issue a certificate only if we are satisfied that members of the public can use the premises safely. This is likely to involve an inspection.

Certificates for public use do not relieve the owner of a building from the obligation to apply for a code compliance certificate after all the building work has been carried out. 

Compliance schedules, WOFs and IQPs

A compliance schedule is a document issued to a public and commercial building if it contains any specified systems.

Some examples of specified systems are:

  • automatic fire sprinkler and emergency warning systems
  • electromagnetic or automatic doors or windows
  • lifts, escalators, travelators or other systems for moving people or goods within buildings
  • mechanical ventilation or air-conditioning systems
  • systems that assist people with visual or hearing disabilities.

The compliance schedule states the inspection, maintenance and reporting procedures needed to keep the systems in good working order and ensure the building is safe and healthy for people to be in.

The schedule must be kept onsite and made available to council officers, Independently Qualified Persons (IQPs) and authorised agents.

If you do not have a compliance schedule, or if your building warrant of fitness has expired, you may be prosecuted.

Getting or amending a compliance schedule

For new buildings, a compliance schedule is issued with a code compliance certificate.

You will need to apply for an amendment to the existing compliance schedule if you want to:

  • upgrade the building or systems
  • change its use
  • do alterations that may also require a building consent.

Providing you are the owner, you can apply for an amendment at any time. Complete and return the application form in the See also box on this page.

An Independent Qualified Person (IQP) can also submit a recommendation for an amendment with the building warrant of fitness. You may also require a building consent.

If you are unsure if you require a compliance schedule, please contact us for advice.

Compliance schedule statements

Where a compliance schedule has been issued for the first time, a compliance schedule statement is issued by the council.

This is a temporary public notification of compliance with the schedule requirements. It is replaced in 12 months and every 12 months after that by the building warrant of fitness.

The owner must display this document in a public area within the building.

Building warrants of fitness

A building warrant of fitness (WOF) is a building owner’s signed statement that the requirements of the compliance schedule have been fully met.

It certifies compliance with the inspection, maintenance and reporting procedures in the schedule during the previous 12 months.

A copy of the building WOF must be displayed within the public area of the building.

Working with an IQP

Only an Independent Qualified Person (IQP) can perform inspections and monitoring for compliance schedules and building WOFs.

An IQP is a person whom council has confirmed is qualified to inspect, maintain and report on certain compliance schedule items. 'Independent' means the person has no financial interest in the building.

Remember, you are required by law to have annual written reports relating to the inspection, maintenance and reporting procedures of the compliance schedule signed by each person who has carried out those procedures.

Keep the reports with the compliance schedule for two years and make sure they are accessible when inspections are carried out.

To find an IQP in your area, or check that an IQP's registration is up to date, see our IQP register.

For more information, please contact us.

Becoming an IQP

Only an individual can register as an IQP. That means building firms can't register and appoint nominees as IQPs.

Registration lasts one year.

For registration fees, see Building control fees and charges.

To apply to register as an IQP, or to renew a current IQP registration, complete the appropriate application form and send it with payment and all supporting documentation (see checklist on form) to:

IQP Registrar
Auckland Council Building Control
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

IQP new registration form (PDF 199KB)
IQP registration renewal form (PDF 144KB)

All IQP applications (new and renewals) must include a photo that will be uploaded onto the membership card.

We will check that your application meets the criteria and includes the required supporting documentation. We will present new applications to the IQP panel at fortnightly meetings.

If approved, we will add you to the IQP register and send you a Registered Independent Qualified Person Practicing Certificate.

For more information, see the IQP guidelines and disciplinary code:

IQP registration guidelines (PDF 771KB)
IQP registration disciplinary code (PDF 72KB)

For renewal and registration enquiries, contact us.


Alcohol licensing building and planning certificates

You will need to apply for an alcohol licensing building certificate and an alcohol licensing planning certificate before applying for an alcohol licence. Further information can be found in the process for applying for an on, off or club licence.


Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.