E tono mō tētahi panonitanga iti noa nei ki tō whakaaetanga hanga whare
Apply for a minor variation to your building consent
An on-site building inspector can approve minor variations.
Before you start
Do not start the minor variation work before it is approved by the on-site building inspector.
Check if you need to apply for a minor variation
This information is aimed at builders, designers and project managers.
It assumes a knowledge and understanding of the Building Act 2004 (the Act) and its requirements that most homeowner applicants will not have.
Work must be minor in nature and not affect compliance with the building code. Minor variations must be applied for and approved before the work can proceed
Examples of a minor variation are:
- substituting one internal lining for a similar internal lining
- substituting the type of timber treatment
- minor wall bracing changes
- a change to a component (for example, fixing bracket)
- a construction change (for example, the framing method around a window when the window is changed to a door)
- changing a room's layout (for example, the position of fixtures in a bathroom or kitchen)
- changing one brand of insulation for another
- building work described in schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004.
In some cases, plans will need to accompany the application form (two copies). View the guide on the
Building Performance website for more information.
Talk to your building inspector if you are unsure about whether an
amendment (major variation) or a minor variation is required.
There is no fee for a minor variation.
How to apply for a minor variation
- Fill in the application form.
- Ensure you have all necessary paperwork for the proposed change.
- Book a site meeting so the building inspector has enough time to assess the minor variation on-site.
- Have two copies of your application for the on-site building inspector; one in digital form and the other in hard copy.
- Give the completed application, including all accompanying documents, to the on-site building inspector. These documents must be legible.
All building inspectors have a digital version of this application form that can be completed on-site during your next inspection. Ensure you have all additional paperwork for the proposed change.
What happens next
The on-site building inspector will decide whether to issue you with approval to proceed with the works as a minor variation, or you need to apply for an amendment (major variation).
The inspector can approve the minor variation on-site or can do so remotely if the decision cannot be made immediately.
All changes must be approved before work proceeds.
Detailed information on amendments and minor variations
|Building consent fees and charges||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-consents/Pages/building-control-fees.aspx||Building consent fees and charges||View fees and charges when applying for a building consent.||aspx||Building consents|
|Restricted building work that needs to be done by a professional||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-consents/Pages/restricted-building-work-done-by-professional.aspx||Restricted building work that needs to be done by a professional||Check if the work you want done needs to be done by a building professional. ||aspx||Building consents|
|Apply for an amendment (major variation) to your building consent||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-consents/making-change-building-consent/Pages/apply-for-amendment.aspx||Apply for an amendment (major variation) to your building consent||If you are making changes to a building consent, find out if you need to submit an amendment. ||aspx||Building consents|
|Change Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) details for your project||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-consents/making-change-building-consent/Pages/change-LBP.aspx||Change Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) details for your project||Find out how to change the details of LBPs doing, or supervising, your restricted building work.||aspx||Building and consents|
|Extension of time to commence building work||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-consents/making-change-building-consent/Pages/extension-time-commence-complete-building-work.aspx||Extension of time to commence building work||Find out how to apply for an extension of time to commence your building work.||aspx||Building and consents|
Is the information on this page helpful?
To ask for help or report a problem with our services or facilities, contact us.