Skip to main content

E tono mō tētahi panonitanga (nui tonu nei) ki tō whakaaetanga hanga whare

Apply for an amendment (major variation) to your building consent

If approved, any amended application becomes part of the approved building consent documents file for that building project.

Check if you need to apply for an amendment

If you want to change your plans before or during construction, you need to let us know.

Generally, where the work is not a minor variation but is still within the scope of the original consent, it is an amendment.

Talk to your building inspector if you are unsure whether an amendment or a minor variation is required.

For more information on the difference between amendments and minor variations, see our guidance document AC2224 Amendments and minor variations.

Examples of changes that need an amendment

  • You no longer want to build a deck or carport shown on the building consent drawings.
  • You want to build an ensuite bathroom instead of a walk-in wardrobe shown on the building consent drawings.
  • A change to the assembly (for example, acrylic shower unit to a tiled shower unit).
  • Timber joists complying with NZS 3604 are shown on the building consent drawings, but your builder advises you to change to a manufactured proprietary joist system.
  • You want to change part, or all, of the proposed cladding system.
  • A new house is approved with a perimeter foundation wall and ordinary internal piles, but you decide to construct a complete timber pile foundation instead, or a raft foundation.

These examples are considered amendments because they impact on Building Code compliance.

Drawings will need to be changed so that plans and specifications accurately reflect what will be built.

Changes that need a new building consent

Where the work is outside the scope of the original consent, or involves additional work, you will need to apply for a new building consent.

Examples of new work:

  • Increasing the footprint of the building.
  • Adding another floor.
  • Adding a retaining wall, outbuilding or similar structures.

Application fees for amendments

* All fees are indicative only and are subject to change.

Read fee table.
Description Deposit
Project value up to $19,999$400
Project value $20,000 to $99,999$700
Project value $100,000 and over$1300

​How to apply


​Apply now

We only accept online applications for this service. If you are unable to apply digitally, visit one of our libraries with council services for assistance in making your online application.

Our staff will accept your documents for an additional charge. The charge covers costs involved with us scanning your documents into our digital building consent system.

Call us on 09 301 0101 to speak with our building and planning help desk if you have questions regarding your application.

​What happens next

We will process your application within 20 working days.

 Related topics



Make a change to a building consent a change to a building consentCheck if you need a minor variation or an amendment when you need to make a change to your building consent.aspxBuilding consents
Extension of time to commence building work of time to commence building workFind out how to apply for an extension of time to commence your building work.aspxBuilding and consents
Apply for a minor variation to your building consent for a minor variation to your building consentIf you are making changes to a building consent, find out if you need to submit a minor variation.aspxBuilding consents
Change Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) details for your project Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) details for your projectFind out how to change the details of LBPs doing, or supervising, your restricted building work.aspxBuilding and consents
Altering an existing building an existing buildingWhat to do if you intend to alter your existing building.aspxBuilding consents