Skip to main content
Flooding and storm events
More For information on disruptions to our services and facilities, see our closures page. Learn moreFlooding and storm events

1. Check if you need a consent to build a porch or veranda

Have your plan ready

Under the NZ Building Regulations there is a lot of building work you can do yourself. The website for the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) is also helpful.

Before checking whether you need a consent for your porch or veranda, you need to know:

  • dimensions of the project (height, total area)
  • location on property where the project will go
  • size of the property in square metres
  • total pre-existing building coverage on property
  • total pre-existing hard surfaces on property.

Depending on the size and design of your structure,  the work (design and/or construction) may be required to be carried out by a Chartered Professional Engineer and/or Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP).

Our tip

If your porch or veranda is close to a boundary, and you have the written approval from your neighbours, you can apply for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity.
This application replaces the need to apply for a resource consent.
You will still need to apply for a building consent, if required.

​How to check if you need a consent to add a porch or veranda

From 31 August 2020, several new building consent exemptions are in place regarding porches and verandas.

The latest guidance on these exemptions can found on the MBIE website.


​Our online tool helps you check if you need a building or resource consent for your porch or veranda.

This tool only applies to a porch or veranda located on the ground floor.

Have your plans ready before you start.

It should take you about 10 minutes to complete.

Check now

 By phone

​Contact us on 09 301 0101.

 In person

​Visit your nearest service centre.

You should know

Consider the Building Code requirements on disposing of stormwater from your building's roof. You may need to seek professional guidance and get council approval. All new drains must be laid by an authorised drainlayer.
Make sure your proposed building does not breech planning regulations, including those regarding site coverage and permitted activity. A resource consent may be required before you can start any building work.
If building close to a boundary, consider Building Code requirements regarding fire protection, particularly in relation to fire spreading to neighbouring properties.
Your building work must:
  • comply with the Building Code, even if no building consent is needed
  • not damage public service drains if its foundations are close to the pipes.