Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 3

At Alert Level 3: Step 1 you can travel throughout Auckland for exercise and recreation outdoors. Our early childhood centres are open for enrolled children only.

Customer-facing facilities like leisure centres, community venues, customer service centres and libraries will remain closed until further notice. Essential services will continue.

Wear a face covering, use the NZ COVID Tracer app, maintain a 2m physical distance, wash your hands, and stay home if you are sick.

For the information about council services and closures, visit the COVID-19 section

To learn more about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19, visit OurAuckland


Water restrictions in Auckland - Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn more

Ngā mahi ka taea māu anō e mahi

Building work you can do yourself (DIY)

Do it yourself

There is some work you can do yourself, as long as you meet the Building Code requirements.

A project like building a fence or retaining wall may still need a resource consent, even though a building consent may not be required, so it's important to check before you start work. If you are unsure whether a resource consent is required, contact us before undertaking any building work.

You can call us on 09 301 0101 and ask to speak to the building helpdesk, or visit one of our service centres.

We recommend you also seek the advice of a building professional before deciding whether the building work is exempt.

You can still apply for a building consent even if the work is exempt.

Building work for which you don't need a consent

If a residential building project does not require a building consent, as a building owner you are still responsible for making sure that any building work complies with the Building Code.

If you need a resource consent for your project, you need to get this before you can start your building work.

You may need to contract a professional for some types of work, even if you don't need a consent.

As the owner, you can place a record on your property file regarding work you believe to be exempt from needing consent.

See Add a record of exempt building work to a property file.

Find out more


 Related topics



Make a change to a building consent a change to a building consentCheck if you need a minor variation or an amendment when you need to make a change to your building consent.aspxBuilding consents
Owner-builder exemption for restricted building work exemption for restricted building workBefore you apply for an owner-builder exemption, make sure you understand what is required.aspxBuilding consents
Request an exemption from needing a building consent​ an exemption from needing a building consent​Find out how to request an exemption from needing a building consent​​.aspxBuilding and consents
Add a record of exempt building work to a property file a record of exempt building work to a property fileFind out how to place a record of work you believe to be exempt from a consent, on your property file. aspxBuilding and consents
Why we have building and planning rules we have building and planning rulesHow we ensure all significant building work is safe, durable, sustainable, and poses no health and safety risks to users.aspxBuilding and consents
Restricted building work that needs to be done by a professional building work that needs to be done by a professionalCheck if the work you want done needs to be done by a building professional. aspxBuilding consents