Skip to main content
Flooding and Cyclone Gabrielle

For up to date information and advice visit Auckland Emergency Management

For information on disruptions to our services and facilities please visit Facility closures

Me aha koe inā he mōrearea te tū a te rākau nāu me te arohia kia wawe tōna turakihia

What to do if your tree is dangerous and requires urgent removal or trimming away from the road

When you can remove a tree without a resource consent

You can remove a tree without a resource consent if the tree:

  • falls on a house
  • has just fallen or split, or
  • may cause an injury.

What happens if your tree is near a road or public land

We can issue a notice ordering you to trim or remove the tree, especially if it is:

  • damaging a road, drains or other public amenities
  • obstructs traffic or the view of the road traffic.
Tree overhanging and obstructing footpath.

How to challenge the notice

If you want to challenge the notice, you can apply to the district court to have the notice set aside.

You will have 10 days to do this.

If you ignore the notice, we can enter your property and carry out the work. You will have to pay for this work and we may issue you a fine.

What you need to urgently remove a protected tree

You will need written advice from a professional arborist.

The advice will need to state:

  • why the tree needs urgent removal
  • description of the condition of the tree.

You also need to provide photographs showing the urgency.

Visit the New Zealand Arboricultural Association (NZ Arb) website for advice on engaging a professional.

What happens next

Bring or send us any relevant documentation within seven days so that we can update our records.

 In person

​At one of our service centres. Choose the one nearest to the address of your property.

 By post

​Auckland Council

  Private Bag 92300

  Auckland 1142

 Related topics



Apply for a resource consent to work on or around protected trees for a resource consent to work on or around protected treesApply for a resource consent to work around, on or under protected trees. If your works are extensive, you will also need an arborist's report.aspxResource consents
Check if you can chop, prune or trim a tree on your property if you can chop, prune or trim a tree on your propertyCheck if your tree is notable, in Significant Ecological Area (SEA), protected by the condition on a past resource consent or by the covenant or a consent notice on a Record of Title. aspxBuilding and consents Resource consents
Notable trees treesFind out what a notable tree is, how they are evaluated and how you can nominate a tree to become notable. Check if a tree is notable.aspxBuilding and consents
Working on or around protected trees on or around protected treesYou will need to apply for a resource consent to cut down, work around, trim or prune it, as the work may destroy it or cause irreparable damage to it. aspxResource consents
Maintenance requests for work on public trees requests for work on public treesWe assess requests for public tree maintenance and carry out work when needed, such as removing a broken hanging branch. aspxEnvironment consultation Building and consents
Pruning or removing trees on public land or removing trees on public landOur arborists prune our trees to manage risk and maintain tree health and longevity. We monitor tree conditions in urban areas and prune only when needed.aspxEnvironment consultation Building and consents