Skip to main content

Rīpoatahia ngā mahi tūkino ki te kurī

Report cruelty to dogs

How to report concerns about animal welfare

If you are concerned about a dog's welfare, contact the Auckland SPCA on 09 256 7300.

Report neglectful dog owners

You can make a complaint about a dog owner not providing their dog with:

  • proper care and attention
  • sufficient kai, water and shelter
  • adequate exercise.

It is considered cruelty to animals.

Report physical abuse of dogs

You can also report owners who hit and physically mistreat their dogs.

For more information, see Animal Welfare Act 1999.

 Related topics



Responsible Dog Owner Licence (RDOL) Dog Owner Licence (RDOL)Find out how to apply for a Responsible Dog Owner Licence and get a discounted registration fee.aspxDogs
Menacing and dangerous dogs and dangerous dogsFind out the rules regarding owning menacing and dangerous dogs.aspxDogs
Make a complaint about a dog a complaint about a dogContact us to complain about bad dog behaviour, including wandering dogs, aggressive dogs and excessive barking.aspxDogs
Report excessive dog barking excessive dog barkingFind out how you can make a complaint about dog barking and what happens when we receive a complaint about excessive barking.aspxDogs
Report an unregistered dog online an unregistered dog onlineReport an unregistered dog in your neighbourhood.Online formaspxDogs
Dog owners' obligations owners' obligationsKnow the obligations you have to fulfil as a dog owner.aspxDogs