Ngā tohutohu hei whakarite whare hauora, whai pūngao hoki
Tips to create a healthy, energy-efficient home
Top tips to make your house warmer, drier and more energy-efficient
- Trim trees or plants that are blocking any windows, and make sure your curtains are open all day to take advantage of the sun in winter.
- Check your ceiling and underfloor insulation: if you can see the ceiling joists inside the roof cavity, or any gaps in the insulation, it needs to be topped up – see GenLess website for assessing
Stop draughts: make sure your doors and windows fit their frames properly, block up old fireplaces, and use draught-stopping tape or seal and draught excluders. Watch the video on
reducing home heat loss.
Install lined curtains that reach to the floor, and are covered by a pelmet or face-fitting tracks at the top. This can be as effective as double glazing – see
ecoadvisor.org.nz for more information.
- Set your heating system to 18 degrees in the bedroom, and 21 degrees in the living room. Invest in a plug-in thermostat for heating appliances to keep you warm and healthy without wasting energy.
- Make sure your heating system is clean and efficient.
cClean your heat pump's filter regularly, and have your chimney or flue swept once a year.
- Replace your inefficient and costly unflued gas heater. Choose your new heating method after
comparing the different options.
- Watch video on
fixing home dampness.
- Get externally ducted extractor fans for your bathroom and kitchen.
- Dry clothes outside, or use a drier for a short amount of time (this is more efficient than using a dehumidifier).
- Put down a groundsheet under the floor to help with rising damp -
guidelines for this project are available online.
- Wipe condensation off your windows in the morning.
- Open your windows for at least 20 minutes a day.
- Check your shower's flow rate – if it fills a 10L bucket in less than a minute, it's wasting water.
- Consider a water-efficient shower head or a flow control disc to keep the flow rate to 9L/minute.
installing a flow restrictor or low-flow showerhead.
- Insulate your hot water cylinder and pipes, either with a cylinder wrap or some old blankets.
Lighting and appliances
- Wash clothes in cold water.
- When replacing an appliance, choose the model with most energy efficiency stars.
- Hang washing outside instead of using the dryer.
- Turn appliances off at the wall when not in use.
Choose energy efficient lightbulbs.
For more information, see our Sustainable Home Design Guide.
|Heat your home||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-renovation-projects/heat-your-home||Heat your home||Find out how to make your home warmer, energy efficient and sustainable by installing wall insulation, solar and heat pump water heating, solid fuel heating and solar panels.||aspx||Building and consents|
|Assess your home||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/assess-your-home.aspx||Assess your home||Carry out an easy online check to assess if your home meets ventilation, insulation, heating and energy efficiency standards.||aspx||Environment|
|Request advice to make your home healthy and energy efficient||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/get-advice.aspx||Request advice to make your home healthy and energy efficient||Get advice from our eco-design advisor on how to create a warmer, drier and more sustainable home.||aspx||Environment
|Healthy homes requirements for landlords||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/healthy-homes-requirements-for-landlords.aspx||Healthy homes requirements for landlords||Find out about healthy homes requirements and responsibilities for owners of rental properties.||aspx|
|Healthy homes resources for tenants||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/healthy-homes-resources-for-tenants.aspx||Healthy homes resources for tenants||Find out about healthy homes programmes and resources for people living in rental homes.||aspx||Environment|
|Borrow a Home Energy Audit Toolkit (HEAT kit)||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/hire-home-energy-audit-toolkit.aspx||Borrow a Home Energy Audit Toolkit (HEAT kit)||Borrow a Home Energy Audit Toolkit (HEAT kit) to measure how warm and dry your home is and where you can save on your power bill.||aspx||Sustainability|