Skip to main content

Ngā poari kaitiaki raihana ā-waipiro i Tāmaki ki te Uru

Licensing trusts in west Auckland

What are licensing trusts?

Licensing trusts are publicly owned businesses, with privileges under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

Only licensing trusts can be granted certain alcohol licences in the areas where they operate.

There are two licensing trusts in west Auckland:

In these areas, only the trusts may operate hotels, taverns and off-licences.

An exception to this is:

  • a place where any kind of alcohol is made, such as a winery or brewery
  • a bottle store that existed before the licensing trust model was adopted (pre-1972).

Wineries and breweries can apply for an off-licence.

Why do licensing trusts exist?

The west Auckland trusts were established in the 1970s, as a community initiative to control the sale of alcohol in west Auckland.

Members (Trustees) are elected by the community to govern the trusts.

The trusts return surplus profits to the community through grants, rebates to clubs, sponsorships and other support for community activities.

For further information, including licensing trust boundaries, refer to the licensing trust website.

Challenging the licensing trusts

Under Section 349 of the Sale and Supply of Liquor Act 2012, it is possible to remove the monopoly rights given to the trusts.

A petition signed by at least 15 per cent of electors who live in the trust district would be needed in order to force a poll. This would need to be a private initiative, without involvement of the council.

On polling day, if 50 per cent or more electors vote to change the status quo, then the monopoly provisions given to the trusts would be removed. If less than 50 per cent of electors vote for a change, then the status quo remains.

For further information, we recommend that you speak to your lawyer.

 Related topics



Alcohol licences and fines licences and finesYou need a licence to sell or supply alcohol. Apply for a manager's certificate, alcohol on-licence, off-licence, club licence or special licence.aspxLicences and regulations Alcohol
Open a business that sells alcohol a business that sells alcoholApply for a an alcohol on-licence, off-licence, club licence or temporary authority.aspxAlcohol licensing
Local Alcohol Policy Alcohol PolicyThe Local Alcohol Policy outlines the location, number and trading hours for alcohol businesses in different areas. It is presently under appeal.aspx
Alcohol bans and alcohol ban maps bans and alcohol ban mapsDrinking or carrying alcohol has been banned from some public places in Auckland. Find maps of areas where alcohol is banned, exceptions to alcohol bans and how alcohol bans are enforced.aspxLicences and regulations consultation Alcohol
Alcohol Harm Minimisation Strategy Harm Minimisation StrategyInformation about Auckland Council's Alcohol Harm Minimisation Strategy to ensure there is minimal risk of community harm from alcohol-related activities.aspxBudgets, plans and strategies