Guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath
Rārangi tohutohu mahi whakaatu rawa i te ara hīkoi
Outdoor display of goods
Using the footpath outside your business can be a great way to show customers the kinds of products you offer inside your store.
You don't need a licence to use the footpath outside your business to display your goods. However, this is public space so you need to make sure that your display:
- is relevant to the goods or services sold within the shop
- is neat and tidy, free from litter and objects that could fall or be blown into the path of pedestrians or traffic
- is a maximum 600mm wide from the shop frontage and must always maintain a minimum of 1.8m of unobstructed footpath
- is not within 5m of an intersection or 2m of a pedestrian crossing
- has no sharp edges or protruding objects that could injure
- does not display knives, firearms or dangerous and offensive
- is not a point of sale, all items must be purchased
inside the premises
- does not use voice, music, amplified sound or any other material to attract customers
- is removed from the public space outside of business hours
- has a minimum of 2.5m clearance from the footpath for hanging goods.