Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 3

At Alert Level 3: Step 2 you can travel throughout Auckland for exercise and recreation outdoors. Our early childhood centres are open for enrolled children only.

Some customer-facing facilities like service centres and community centres are now open. Essential services continue.

Use the NZ COVID Tracer app, wear a face covering, maintain a 2m physical distance, wash your hands, and stay home if you are sick. For information about council services and closures, see the COVID-19 section

Learn more about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19. See OurAuckland

Rārangi tohutohu mahi whakaatu rawa i te ara hīkoi

Guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath

Outdoor display of goods

Using the footpath outside your business can be a great way to show customers the kinds of products you offer inside your store.

You don't need a licence to use the footpath outside your business to display your goods. However, this is public space so you need to make sure that your display:

  • is relevant to the goods or services sold within the shop
  • is neat and tidy, free from litter and objects that could fall or be blown into the path of pedestrians or traffic
  • is a maximum 600mm wide from the shop frontage and must always maintain a minimum of 1.8m of unobstructed footpath
  • is not within 5m of an intersection or 2m of a pedestrian crossing
  • has no sharp edges or protruding objects that could injure the public
  • does not display knives, firearms or dangerous and offensive objects
  • is not a point of sale, all items must be purchased inside the premises
  • does not use voice, music, amplified sound or any other material to attract customers
  • is removed from the public space outside of business hours
  • has a minimum of 2.5m clearance from the footpath for hanging goods.

 Related topics



Where you can put up a business sign you can put up a business signFind out what rules apply to business signs.aspxSigns
Apply for a distributing promotional goods licence for a distributing promotional goods licenceIf you are distributing samples or flyers in a public space to promote something, you will need a licence from us.GuideaspxDistributing promotional goods licence
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Put up a billboard up a billboardIn most situations you will need a resource consent and a building consent to put up a billboard. aspxSigns
Rules for real estate signs for real estate signsRead about the rules for real estate signs in rural zones.aspxSigns
Handing out promotional goods out promotional goodsIf you are distributing samples or flyers in a public space to promote something, you will need a licence from us.aspxDistributing promotional goods licence