Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 3

At Alert Level 3: Step 1 you can travel throughout Auckland for exercise and recreation outdoors. Our early childhood centres are open for enrolled children only.

Customer-facing facilities like leisure centres, community venues, customer service centres and libraries will remain closed until further notice. Essential services will continue.

Wear a face covering, use the NZ COVID Tracer app, maintain a 2m physical distance, wash your hands, and stay home if you are sick.

For the information about council services and closures, visit the COVID-19 section

To learn more about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19, visit OurAuckland


Water restrictions in Auckland - Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn more

Whakatūria he papa pānui

Put up a billboard

In most situations you will need a resource consent and a building consent to put up a billboard.

Check if you need a resource consent

To check if you need a resource consent, contact us on 09 301 0101 and ask to speak to a planner about:

  • zoning – to find out the zone of your proposed site, refer to the Auckland Unitary Plan map viewer.
  • size, height and location   
  • construction   
  • visual impact and standards of lighting    
  • safety.

Our tip

Additional rules apply when putting up a billboard in central Auckland. Speak to a planner to find out more.

Check if you need a building consent

​To check if you need a building consent, contact us on 09 301 0101 and ask to speak to the building helpdesk.

 Related topics



Where you can put up a business sign you can put up a business signFind out what rules apply to business signs.aspxSigns
Signage Bylaw 2015 Bylaw 2015This bylaw regulates promotional signs to ensure public safety and prevent nuisance from poorly maintained or located signage.aspxBylaw
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Rules for election signs for election signsFind out about rules on election and by-election signs on the Election Signs Bylaw 2013.aspxSigns
Rules for real estate signs for real estate signsRead about the rules for real estate signs in rural zones.aspxSigns
Portable signs signsPortable signs cannot be put on certain roads and public squares in the CBD or city centre zone. Consideration must be given to pedestrian access, particularly for the visually impaired. aspxSigns