Skip to main content
Council services and closures Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region, learn more.
For the status of council services under covid-19 alert conditions - Learn moreCouncil services and closures

Local Alcohol Policy areas

Ngā Takiwā Kaupapa Here Kai Waipiro ā-Rohe

City centre

The city centre covers the area between State Highways 1 and 16.

Priority overlay

The provisional Local Alcohol Policy (LAP) identifies a Priority Overlay of 23 centres across the region.

These areas have priority status as they are places with high levels of alcohol related crime, high numbers of populations that experience disproportionate harm from alcohol, and high numbers of existing alcohol licences.

The provisional LAP has additional rules for these areas to manage the number and density of alcohol outlets and to reduce alcohol-related harm in the local communities.

The priority overlay areas are:

  • Avondale
  • Clendon
  • Glen Eden
  • Glen Innes
  • Helensville and Parakai
  • Henderson
  • Hunters Corner
  • Mangere
  • Mangere East
  • Manukau
  • Manurewa
  • Mt Wellington
  • Oranga
  • Otahuhu
  • Otara
  • Panmure
  • Papakura
  • Papatoetoe
  • Point England
  • Pukekohe
  • Takanini
  • Wellsford and Te Hana
  • Wiri.

Maps of Priority Overlay areas


Special provisions

There are also some special provisions based on Unitary Plan zoning for Neighbourhood Centres.

  • Neighbourhood Centres
  • Metropolitan Centres


 Related content



Apply for an alcohol special licence for events for an alcohol special licence for eventsFind out how to apply for an alcohol special licence for sporting events, concerts, farmers’ markets, and private social gatherings.Guideaspx
Apply for a manager's certificate (alcohol) for a manager's certificate (alcohol)Find out how to apply for a manager's certificate.Guideaspx
Apply for an alcohol off-licence for an alcohol off-licenceFind out how to apply for an alcohol off-licence.Guideaspx
Apply for an alcohol club licence for an alcohol club licenceFind out how to apply for an alcohol club licence.Guideaspx
Apply for an alcohol on-licence for an alcohol on-licenceFind out how to apply for an alcohol on-licence.Guideaspx