Māori Land Rates Remission and Postponement Policy
Kaupapa Here Muru me te Whakatārewa Reiti Whenua Māori
This policy sets out our approach to the remission and postponement of rates on Māori freehold land (MFL).
Key features of the policy
- We will remit all rates for undeveloped and unused Māori freehold land.
- We will apply a partial remission for Māori freehold land where the rateable valuations of the land do not reflect the use of the land.
- We will remit all rates for land used for marae and urupa (other than rates for services provided).
- We will apply a partial remission for Māori freehold land that is used for the benefit of iwi members for non-commercial purposes (papakāinga housing, community facilities, and marae and associated infrastructure). We will remit the portion of the rating unit's rates for eligible rating units, that are attributable to its land value.
- We will remit historical rate arrears on Māori freehold land if the annual rates are paid for three years.
The policy may also apply to Māori land not in Māori freehold land title, where the land has similar characteristics to Māori freehold land.
Get a copy of the Māori Land Rates Remission and Postponement Policy