What the north west transformation project is about
The transformation of Auckland's north west includes the development of:
- a new town centre at Westgate incorporating a town square and new library
- a new village centre and employment park at Hobsonville
- the creation of a community and residential precinct at Hobsonville Point.
The transformation will ensure regional economic growth along with social, recreational, environmental and transport benefits.
We are working with New Zealand Retail Property Group (NZRPG) to create a new centre that will open 10,000 new jobs and attract 4000 new residents.
The large civic space will be a pedestrian-friendly, slow speed zone or shared space.
The centre will have a library featuring a unique children's reading and storytelling 'cocoon' space, community rooms, a café and Citizens' Advice Bureau.
The new Westgate multipurpose facility - expected to open in 2018 - will be a community hub.
In addition to the traditional library services, there will be multipurpose spaces for digital productions, business, events, recreation and meeting facilities.
The small shopping centre is being expanded to the other side of the road to include a new supermarket and retail shopping area.
The expanded Hobsonville Village will allow for further business activities and a small amount of residential housing next to Hobsonville Domain.
An employment park will be developed between Brigham Creek Road and Westpark Drive on Hobsonville Road to make way for 4000 jobs.
An upgrade is planned for Hobsonville Road and the project is designed to accommodate a quality transit network of buses, wider footpaths and cycleways.
The former military airbase is making space for housing and ferry services.
- Panuku Development Auckland will develop Airfields Precinct into a new residential and mixed-use development over the next few years.
- Hobsonville Land Company will develop a residential area with 3000 dwellings, open space, two schools and a small area of shops and offices.
- Part of the harbour front land is to be developed for boat launching, retrieval activities and for a public ferry terminal.