Register your dog
If you own a dog in Auckland, you need to register it with us. Registration period runs from 1 July to 30 June the following year.
You risk receiving a fine if you don't.
Renew my dog registration
We are sending out reminders from Friday 17 June 2016.
If you have not received your reminder by the end of June we may not have your correct address, contact us and let us know.
Before you start
Check the details on your reminder notice for the 2016-2017 registration period. If any of your details have changed, you will need to renew your dog registration by post or at a service centre.
All areas will have an online option available this year.
Renew by post
To renew your registration by post, send your form and cheque payment to:
Private Bag 92300
Contact us if you have not received your new dog tag in ten working days.
Renew in person
You can renew your registration:
- at any of our service centres - we will issue your dog tag when you pay
- at any branch of NZ PostShop or Kiwibank - if your dog's details and the fee printed on your reminder letter have not changed. Contact us if you do not receive your new dog tag in ten working days.
First time registering
Use our fee calculator to find out how much it will cost to register your dog, .
Send us a completed application to register a dog (PDF 100KB).
Register by post
Private Bag 92300
Contact us if you don't receive your disc or strap within ten working days.
Register in person
Pay in person at any service centre. You'll receive your disc or strap right away.
- You must register your puppy before it turns three months old.
- Register your dog at the address where it spends the most time.
- You must microchip your dog within two months of being registered.
- If you are under 16, you must register the dog under your parent or guardian's name.
Include with your application:
- a copy of the veterinary certificate if your dog has been de-sexed
- a copy of your Responsible Dog Owner Licence (RDOL), or your RDOL number if you have completed the test
- a copy of your SuperGold card if you have one.
Once you have registered your dog, you will receive an annual reminder (sent to your last known address) to re-register your dog.
SuperGold card holders
A discounted registration fee applies for holders of:
- SuperGold card with the Community Services card (CSC) endorsement or
- both a SuperGold card and a Community Services card
- a Veteran Gold card.
If you've got your card in the last year, and this is the first time you are registering with the discounted rate.
- include a copy of both sides of your card with
- your application form or renewal notice by post, or
- bring it with you to any service centre
Visit the SuperGold Card website for more information about the SuperGold Card.