Register your dog
Registering your dog or puppy for the first time
If you live in the Auckland Council area, you need to register your dog or puppy with us each year. You risk receiving a fine if you don't.
To find out how much it will cost to register your dog, use our fee calculator.
Send us a completed application to register a dog (PDF 100KB).
Register by post
Private Bag 92300
Contact us if you don't receive your disc or strap within ten working days.
Register in person
Pay in person at any service centre. You'll receive your disc or strap right away.
- You must register your puppy before it turns three months old.
- Register your dog at the address where it spends the most time.
- You must microchip your dog within two months of being registered.
- If you are under 16 years of age, you must register the dog under your parent or guardian's name.
Include with your application:
- a copy of the veterinary certificate if your dog has been de-sexed
- a copy of your Responsible Dog Owner Licence (RDOL), or your RDOL number if you have completed the test
- a copy of your SuperGold card if you have one.
Once you have registered, you will receive an annual reminder (sent to your last known address) to re-register your dog/s.
SuperGold card holders
A discounted registration fee applies for holders of:
- SuperGold card with the Community Services card (CSC) endorsement or
- both a SuperGold card and a Community Services card.
If you are claiming the SuperGold Combo card rate for the first time.
- include a copy of the front and back of your card with your application form or renewal notice by post, or
- bring it with you to any service centre.
Visit the SuperGold Card website for more information about the SuperGold Card.
Dog registration renewal
We are sending out dog registration reminder notices in June.
If any of your details have changed since last year please tell us using our online change of details form.