What is the Cultural Heritage Inventory? (CHI)
The Cultural Heritage Inventory (CHI) is a computer database containing information on over 20,000 heritage places, including:
- archaeological and maritime sites
- built and botanical heritage areas and places
- sites of significance to mana whenua.
It is used to store and retrieve information on heritage places in the Auckland region, and is divided into two sections:
- places - includes information on individual historic heritage places
- bibliography - includes reference material such as reports, assessments and surveys.
The CHI does not afford formal protection to heritage places.
If you want information about a particular CHI place, please contact the Heritage Team.