What is the Cultural Heritage Inventory? (CHI)
The CHI is a computer database containing information on over 20,000 heritage places, including:
- archaeological and maritime sites
- built and botanical heritage areas and places
- sites of significance to mana whenua.
It is used to store and retrieve information on heritage places in the Auckland region, and is divided into two sections:
- places – includes information on individual historic heritage places
- bibliography – includes reference material such as reports, assessments and surveys.
The CHI does not grant formal protection to heritage places.
Find out about a heritage place
Contact the Heritage Team if you want information about a specific heritage place.