Skip to main content
Auckland Council

Notice of undertaking a permitted activity in a plantation forest

The National Environmental Standards for Plantation Forestry (NES-PF) took effect on 1 May 2018. The NES-PF provides a nationally consistent set of rules in relation to plantation forestry activities.

NES-PF notice

The NES-PF requires that foresters operating under the NES-PF give us notice if they intend to carry out any of the following activities: 

  • earthworks
  • river crossings
  • afforestation
  • forestry quarrying
  • harvesting.

When you need to provide NES-PF notice

Notice needs to be provided by the company undertaking the work, at least 20 and no more than 60 working days before the planned start date.

However, if earthworks or harvesting are required for salvage operations the minimum notice period is two days before work begins.

Why you need to provide NES-PF notice  

The purpose of this notice is to inform us of the activity and to enable us to undertake compliance monitoring of the activity where appropriate.

How to provide NES-PF notice  

Email the completed notice and any supporting documents to

​To confirm if your forestry activities are managed under the NES-PF see the additional information attached to the NES-PF form, plus the National Environmental Standards for Plantation Forestry page on the Ministry for Primary Industries website

Forestry activities that fall outside those covered by the NES-PF are managed by the Auckland Unitary Plan.

Supporting documents

  • Forest quarrying: Prepare a management plan and lodge a proposed setback document and calculations.
  • Earthworks and harvesting: Prepare a management plan.
  • Afforestation: Lodge a proposed setback document and calculations along with a copy of the wilding tree risk calculation sheet and score.

The NES-PF notice allows us to request a copy of management plans when these are required. It is our policy to request management plans.

You will need to give these to us at least 15 working days before work starts.

Operators also need to advise us of material amendments to management plans to enable us to request a copy of the updated plan.

You should know

This document does not take the place of a resource consent application. Your permitted activity may still require resource consent. Find out more about preparing your resource consent application.
If you need resource consent due to the sensitivity of the local environment, matters of discretion may require an assessment of the effects on mana whenua. We recommend you engage with iwi as soon as possible to determine whether you will need to do a cultural value assessment.

What happens next

We will email you a confirmation we have received your notification form within 10 working days.

We will also contact you about an initial site meeting or if we need more information from you.

Useful tools

Erosion Susceptibility Classification – Ministry for Primary Industries

Wilding Tree Risk calculator – Ministry for Primary Industries

Fish Spawning Indicator – Ministry for Primary Industries