Skip to main content
Auckland Council

Dispute your building fine

Tautohetia ō whaina hanga whare

To dispute a building fine, write to us within 28 days after you get the notice letter.

What you need to dispute a building fine

In your dispute letter you need to state:

  • the date of the offence
  • the number of the infringement notice
  • if the notice sets out more than one offence, how you are dealing with each offence
  • your full address for replies
  • why you want us to reconsider the offence.

Address your letter to: 

Auckland Council
Building Control
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

Challenge a building fine

You can challenge an infringement through the courts. This is called a defended hearing.

You have the right to request a defended hearing within 56 days of receiving the notice.