Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 3

At Alert Level 3: Step 2 you can travel throughout Auckland for exercise and recreation outdoors. Our early childhood centres are open for enrolled children only.

Some customer-facing facilities like service centres and community centres are now open. Essential services continue.

Use the NZ COVID Tracer app, wear a face covering, maintain a 2m physical distance, wash your hands, and stay home if you are sick. For information about council services and closures, see the COVID-19 section

Learn more about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19. See OurAuckland

He rāhui whakawātea momo mahi hanga whare a te kaikāmura nōna ake te whare

Owner-builder exemption for restricted building work

Owner-builders may carry out restricted building work (RBW) on their homes.

Who is an owner-builder?

You are an owner-builder if you:

  • live in or are going to live in the home you are building or renovating (includes baches and holiday homes)
  • carry out the restricted building work on your own home yourself, or with help from unpaid friends and family members
  • have not, under the owner-builder exemption, carried out restricted building work to any other home within the previous three years.

The owner-builder exemption is specifically tailored:

  • DIY
  • RBW where the owner-builder proposes to carry out works that they are not licensed for.

Owner-builders who carry out restricted building work must complete a statutory declaration and return it to us before work begins.

Work not covered by the exemption

The owner-builder exemption will not cover electrical, gas, plumbing and drainage works unless the owner-builder holds appropriate licences for this work.

The owner-builder exemption is not valid until you submit a written declaration to us confirming that you meet the owner-builder criteria.

Who can help you with the work

As an owner-builder, family members and friends can help you with restricted building work on your home, as long as you are not paying them.

All work must still comply with your building consent and the building code.

Restricted building work not done by an owner-builder

Any restricted building work you do not do yourself, or is not done by your unpaid friends or family members, must be carried out or supervised by a licensed building professional (LBP) who holds the appropriate licence class. The LBP must also supply you with a Record of Work.

You can still hire a designer to draw your plans. If the design includes restricted building work, they will need to provide a Certificate of Work.

Recording owner-builder work

As an owner-builder, you will also need to give us notice if:

  • there is a change in the restricted building work you are doing
  • you cease to carry out the restricted building work.

We will record the work, and who it was carried out by, on your LIM.

If you decide to sell the home, future buyers will have access to this information showing whether the building work was carried out by the owner, or a licensed building professional.

Statutory declaration

The statutory declaration form must be witnessed and signed by a legally authorised person, such as a Justice of the Peace.

You need to either include the completed form with your building consent application, or provide it to us before your restricted building work begins.

More information about owner-builder exemptions

Read this guidance document for more information on owner-builder exemptions.

 Related topics



Make a change to a building consent a change to a building consentCheck if you need a minor variation or an amendment when you need to make a change to your building consent.aspxBuilding consents
What is a consent and do I need one? is a consent and do I need one?Find out what a resource consent and a building consent are, and how to check if you need one.aspxBuilding consents Resource consents
Request an exemption from needing a building consent​ an exemption from needing a building consent​Find out how to request an exemption from needing a building consent​​.aspxBuilding and consents
Add a record of exempt building work to a property file a record of exempt building work to a property fileFind out how to place a record of work you believe to be exempt from a consent, on your property file. aspxBuilding and consents
Building work you can do yourself (DIY) work you can do yourself (DIY)Find out if you need a building consent for your project, or if you can carry out the work without consent. aspxBuilding consents
Restricted building work that needs to be done by a professional building work that needs to be done by a professionalCheck if the work you want done needs to be done by a building professional. aspxBuilding consents