Skip to main content

Whakatū manga i runga i ngā whenua pātata

Construct drainage over neighbouring properties

Get approval from your neighbour

If you want to construct drainage over neighbouring properties, you will need their approval.

Let us know if an agreement is reached

Private negotiations are the most appropriate and effective means of resolution.

If you and your neighbours come to an agreement, you can notify us.

Complete this form and deliver it in person or by post.

 In person

​Download, complete and bring the neighbours' consent form to a library with council services. Choose the one nearest to the address of your project.

 By post

​Download, complete and send the neighbours' consent form to:

Auckland Council

  Private Bag 92300

  Auckland 1142

If you don't reach agreement

If you have been unable to gain approval from your neighbours to put drainage under or across their properties,  you can apply to us to provide facilitation services.

Our tip

You should use this application only after all of your efforts to reach an agreement with your neighbours have failed.

Email us your facilitation application form

Download and complete the application form. Email the completed form to:

Get a copy of the form

Facilitation services

Facilitation services aims to mediate an agreement between landowners.

Where no agreement is possible, we may undertake the works as a council project, using powers to enter private property under the Local Government Act 2002.

Before we issue a notice under the Local Government Act 2002, applicants should have an approved resource consent for their project.

Find out more

Contact us and ask to speak to the duty engineer in your area.


 Related topics



Consider stormwater when building stormwater when buildingIf you are doing any sort of development, one of the factors you need to consider is stormwater. Find out what you need to know about stormwater before you begin.aspxStormwater
Apply for a minor engineering approval for a minor engineering approvalFind out how to apply for a minor engineering approval and download the engineering as-built requirements. aspxEngineering
Stormwater risks, requirements and responsibilities risks, requirements and responsibilities​Find out about what risks and responsibilities developers have relating to stormwater.aspxBuilding and consents
Apply for a new stormwater connection for a new stormwater connectionFind out how to apply for a new stormwater connection, what you need to know before you apply and what kind of inspection you need to book.aspxBuilding and consents
When you need an engineering approval you need an engineering approvalFind out what type of work might need an engineering approval and how can our development engineers help. aspxEngineering
Who maintains stormwater pipes and drains maintains stormwater pipes and drainsProperty owners are responsible for maintaining their stormwater pipes, drains and gutters. Auckland Council maintains public stormwater assets. aspxStormwater