Skip to main content

He whakaaetanga wai hei hari, hei whakamahi, hei pāpuni, hei whakapeau wai rānei

Water permit to take, use, dam, or divert water

A water permit (consent) may be required to take, use, dam or divert water, or to take or use heat or energy from water. Water permits are commonly needed for taking, using, damming or diversion of surface and ground water, e.g. for irrigation purposes.

​Apply online for a water permit to take, use, dam, or divert water

We only accept online applications for a water permit - or to take, use, dam or divert water. If you are unable to apply digitally, visit one of our service centres for assistance in making your online application.

See Ways to pay online for information on all payment options.


​Apply now

If there is no way to provide digital copies of your plans or documents, visit one of our service centres. Our staff will accept your documents for an additional charge. The charge covers costs involved with us scanning your documents into our digital consent system.

Call us on 09 301 0101 to speak with our building and planning help desk if you have questions regarding your application.

 Related topics



National Environmental Standards for Freshwater - permitted activities Environmental Standards for Freshwater - permitted activitiesCertain activities near or in rivers, wetlands, lakes and streams may be permitted under the National Environmental Standards for Freshwater, but they must comply with the relevant conditions. aspxEnvironment consultation Building and consents
Freshwater management policy and standards management policy and standardsThe Government's recent Essential Freshwater policy introduces new rules and regulations for Auckland and the rest of the country.aspxEnvironment
Report a water quality issue a water quality issueContact us for water quality issues or oil spills. We advise when the water is unsafe due to flooding, erosion, pollution and unhealthy practices. aspxWater quality
Water permit - bores permit - boresFind out how to apply for a bore water permit. aspxResource consents
Consent for works within the bed of a lake or river for works within the bed of a lake or riverFind out how to apply to work in the bed of a lake or river.aspxResource consents
Reporting water use on rural properties water use on rural propertiesFind out about new rural water data reporting rules.aspxEnvironment