Skip to main content
Auckland Council
Water conservation efforts
More How we are reducing water usage across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater conservation efforts

Add a record of exempt building work to a property file

Tāpiritia tētahi pūrongo whakamahara o ngā mahi hanganga kua whakawāteatia ki tētahi kōnae whenua

As the owner, you can place a record on your property file regarding work you believe to be exempt from needing a building consent.

​Exempt building work

You should know

Exempt building work is not checked or inspected by us. It is your responsibility to ensure that the work is exempt by getting advice from a professional.
All building work regardless of whether a building consent is required, must comply with the New Zealand Building Code.
Undertaking building work without a building consent (when one is required) is an offence.

Detailed guidance on exempt building work

Fees to add a record of exempt building work

Fees are indicative pricing only. All fixed fees are non-refundable.

Read fee table.
Description Fixed fee
Receiving third party reports or any other information to place on a property file$250

​Add a record of exempt building work


​To add a record of exempt building work to your property file, apply online:

Record of exempt building work

 By post

Complete the record of exempt building work application, and send it (along with your payment) to:

Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

 In person

Bring your completed application to any of our customer service centres.

 Related topics