Skip to main content
Auckland Council

Check if you can keep livestock on your property

Kimihia mena e āhei ana to tiaki kararehe pāmu i runga i tō whenua

The rules for where you can keep livestock can differ between rural and urban areas.

Our tip

The Auckland Unitary Plan determines whether your property is in an urban or rural area.

If you’re not sure whether your property is in an urban or rural area, contact us to find out.

​Keeping livestock in a rural area

You may keep and farm livestock on private rural property. There are no restrictions on the number of animals you can keep.

To keep livestock, you need to understand:

  • responsible animal ownership
  • the welfare needs of the animals, including food, water, shelter and exercise
  • the type of properties suitable for keeping stock animals.

Keeping livestock in an urban area

Depending on the size and suitability of your property, you need to consider:

  • type of stock you want to keep
  • fencing
  • housing
  • drainage
  • waste disposal controls, particularly for pigs
  • how to limit potential nuisances.

Number of animals you can keep in an urban area

You can keep a limited number of animals in an urban area without an animal management licence.
If you want to keep more animals, you will need to apply for an animal management licence.

This table shows the number of stock that you can keep in an urban area without a licence.

​Type of stock​Property smaller than 2000m²​Property larger than 2000m²


 Related topics