Skip to main content

Rīpoatahia ngā kararehe pāmu kōtiti kua ngaro noa rānei

Report wandering and missing livestock

Phone us on 09 301 0101 to report:

  • livestock wandering in any public area, including motorways or state highways
  • missing or lost livestock.

Wandering livestock on private property

We are not required to collect or impound any stock that is trespassing on private property.

If we cannot collect the livestock, you need to either:

  • return the livestock to the owner
  • take the livestock to the nearest animal management centre.

It is still a good idea to report trespassing livestock to us, as we may be able to locate the owner, who can arrange for the animals to be picked up.

It is an offence to wilfully cause any stock to stray or wander onto any road. You must not release the stock if we are unable to collect it.

 Related topics



Where livestock can graze livestock can grazeWhat you'll need to graze your livestock on public parks or road reserves.aspx
Animal management staff hourly fees management staff hourly feesFind out the hourly fees for animal management staff.aspxAnimals Stock
Check if you can keep livestock on your property if you can keep livestock on your propertyFind out where you can keep livestock and the rules that cover keeping livestock in urban and rural areas.aspxAnimals Stock
Slaughtering animals and disposing of animal remains animals and disposing of animal remainsRules on the slaughter of livestock and poultry and information on how to dispose of animal remains. aspx
Your legal responsibilities when keeping livestock legal responsibilities when keeping livestockThe legal responsibilities (under the Animal Management 2015 bylaw) that must be fulfilled when keeping livestock.aspxAnimals Stock
Animal Management Bylaw 2015 Management Bylaw 2015This bylaw promotes responsible animal ownership and interactions. It includes rules about and animals in public places and being a good neighbour.aspxBylaw