Me pēhea te patu tarutaru
How to control weeds
pest search to find advice on how to control the specific type of weed on your property. You will also find information on how to prevent it from coming back and how to manage the site.
Health and safety measures
Before you remove weeds:
- read the label on the herbicide or pesticide thoroughly
- use tools suitable for the size and volume of weeds
- use appropriate clothing and footwear
- have a buddy or tell someone else where you're going if you are planning to work in a remote area.
Weed control in your neighbourhood
If your neighbours also have weed issues, it is more efficient to work together.
- Target pest plants with the worst impact on the environment first.
- Work from areas of low to high weed density.
- Restrict the weeds to a specific area, then work on reducing that area.
- If you're working near a waterway, start at the top and work in the direction the water is flowing.
- Make sure that your group can finish the work you’ve set out to do.
Replanting and mulching
If your weeding is leaving the ground too bare, replant the area or cover it with mulch as soon as possible. This prevents weeds from coming back.
|Weed Management Policy||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/our-policies/Pages/weed-management-policy.aspx||Weed Management Policy||The Weed Management Policy helps us manage weeds in our parks and open spaces, including the road corridor. ||aspx||Policy|
|Prevent pests from spreading||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/prevent-pests-from-spreading.aspx||Prevent pests from spreading||Prevent pests from spreading by checking and cleaning your vehicle and gear after visiting a site with pests and before visiting an island.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|Report a pest plant, pest animal or plant disease||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/report-pest-plant-pest-animal-plant-disease.aspx||Report a pest plant, pest animal or plant disease||Report weeds, pest animals and diseases to Auckland Council. Report marine and exotic pests to MPI.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|How to dispose of weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/how-to-dispose-weeds.aspx||How to dispose of weeds||You need to be careful when disposing of weeds. Check which transfer stations accept green waste or have a garden company collect the weeds you removed.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|Why and how we control weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/how-we-control-weeds.aspx||Why and how we control weeds||We have weed control methods and projects in place to manage weeds in Auckland.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|Identify weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/identify-weeds.aspx||Identify weeds||Identify weeds before you remove them. Use our pest search or check other weed databases. ||aspx||Biosecurity|