Minamina Kete Mātai Ngao i te Kāinga (Kete HEAT)
Borrow a Home Energy Audit Toolkit (HEAT kit)
If you’re living in a damp, cold house or paying too much for power, check your home's insulation and energy costs.
What is a Home Energy Audit Toolkit (HEAT)?
Home Energy Audit Toolkits (HEAT kits) can help you find out:
- which areas of your home use the most energy
- how you can make your home healthier and warmer
- how you can save on power bills and reduce your carbon footprint.
What is in the HEAT kit
- A hygrometer - to measure air temperatures and moisture levels including tips on how to avoid cold, damp conditions that cause condensation and mould.
- An infrared thermometer - to find thermal leaks due to poor insulation of ineffective seals including tips on how to fix them.
- A stopwatch - to measure your shower flow rate including tips on how to make savings through efficient use of hot water.
- A power meter - to measure the running cost of plug-in appliances including tips on how you can save money on appliances, heating and lighting.
- Instructions on how to use each tool.
- A record booklet for recording your measurements and energy saving actions.
- Infosheets you can take away with more detailed information.
You can also email any feedback to the Low Carbon Living team.
How to borrow a HEAT kit
You can borrow a HEAT kit for free from Auckland Libraries. Request a HEAT kit through the Auckland Libraries catalogue.
Standard library charges apply if the tools are broken, lost or missing. Check with the library for charges.
Get more advice
For more advice on how you can make your home warmer, drier and more energy-efficient, see Live Lightly - Noho Māmā.
|Heat your home||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/building-renovation-projects/heat-your-home||Heat your home||Find out how to make your home warmer, energy efficient and sustainable by installing wall insulation, solar and heat pump water heating, solid fuel heating and solar panels.||aspx||Building and consents|
|Assess your home||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/assess-your-home.aspx||Assess your home||Carry out an easy online check to assess if your home meets ventilation, insulation, heating and energy efficiency standards.||aspx||Environment|
|Request advice to make your home healthy and energy efficient||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/get-advice.aspx||Request advice to make your home healthy and energy efficient||Get advice from our eco-design advisor on how to create a warmer, drier and more sustainable home.||aspx||Environment
|Healthy homes requirements for landlords||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/healthy-homes-requirements-for-landlords.aspx||Healthy homes requirements for landlords||Find out about healthy homes requirements and responsibilities for owners of rental properties.||aspx|
|Healthy homes resources for tenants||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/healthy-homes-resources-for-tenants.aspx||Healthy homes resources for tenants||Find out about healthy homes programmes and resources for people living in rental homes.||aspx||Environment|
|Tips to create a healthy, energy-efficient home||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design/create-healthy-energy-efficient-home/Pages/tips-to-create-healthy-energy-efficient-home.aspx||Tips to create a healthy, energy-efficient home||Find out about things you can do around your home to make it warmer and drier.||aspx||Environment|