Eligibility for a Regional Historic Heritage Grant
The programme is for individuals, groups and other organisations that contribute to the protection and improvement of regionally significant historic heritage places, sites or areas.
Projects should be for one of the following:
- historic heritage places that are in one of the Auckland Unitary Plan Operative in part schedules including:
- the historic heritage schedule
- sites of significance to mana whenua
- sites of value to mana whenua
- contributing buildings within a historic heritage or historic character area
- trees included in the Notable Tree Schedule
- historic heritage places that are not scheduled but are of regional significance. This is subject to:
- evidence that the site has interim protection through heritage covenants and
- having a letter from the applicants confirming support for scheduling the site under the relevant heritage overlay
- movable heritage items that are stored and exhibited within the Auckland region in a manner that will ensure their long-term protection.
Examples of projects the Regional Historic Heritage Grant Programme will fund
- Protection of the structural integrity of buildings or historic land.
- Restoration of heritage features, including landscaping.
- Maintenance and repair of historic heritage places.
- Kaitiakitanga of Māori cultural heritage.
- Enabling public access to scheduled historic places.
- Providing public information or interpretive materials
- Works that support the long-term health and retention of notable trees.
How grants are allocated
Grants awarded through the regional programme will include a mix of 'one-off' and multi-year project grants for standalone initiatives.
What happens after you apply
Our Heritage staff members will assess your application.
After that, we will make recommendations to the members of the planning committee, who make final funding decisions.
We will contact you by email to let you know the result of your application.
If your application is successful, we will also send a funding agreement with the terms and conditions of the grant.
Find out more
See Regional Historic Heritage Grant for information about grant amounts and how to apply.