Skip to main content
COVID-19 Visit OurAuckland to learn about Auckland Council’s response to COVID-19.
For the status of council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19
Water restrictions in Auckland More Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions in Auckland

Ohiatanga ā-hunga whai whenua

Landowner approvals

​What is a landowner approval?

The council is a landowner and sometimes needs to give approval to people or groups who want to use council-owned land.

Landowner approval generally involves parks or reserves but can include all council facilities.

Your application for landowner approval includes an assessment fee and is processed by the Land Advisory Services Team (LAS).

For one-off events see our page on event permits.

When you need landowner approval

Some activities which require approval include:

  • commercial activity on a reserve like a night market
  • laying stormwater and wastewater pipes in a reserve
  • power, water or communications companies seeking to install infrastructure on council land
  • conducting research on a park
  • mobile vendors trading on a reserve or park
  • creating or installing something, e.g. fencing, plants, playgrounds, small buildings, sports facilities
  • accessing a construction site through a park
  • easements, rights of way and other legal permissions.

The length of an approval request can vary, including:

  • very short-term access
  • medium-term occupation or use
  • to long-term use involving a licence or lease.
  • right of entry or short-term permission to access council land for no more than one to two days.

How to apply for a landowner approval

Download the checklist and application form.

Email your application form and supporting documents to

Our tip

By providing as much detail as possible in your initial application we can process your request in less time. See the checklist for what you need to include.

​Landowner approval fees

Fees are charged upfront, and the amount depends on the complexity of your application.

Read fee table.
Application type Fee
Basic application$570
Standard application$990
Complex application$1410

There is a 50 per cent reduction in all fees for:

  • registered community groups
  • incorporated societies
  • charitable trusts.

What we can’t approve

We don't process applications for:

  • resource or building consents
  • offsite mitigation that has been proposed as part of a resource consent
  • requests for land not owned by the council, such as private land.

Our tip

If you are taking part in a large event — for instance, if you want to put a food stall at a night market held in a park — get in touch with the main organiser.

We grant approval for the event, not to individual vendors.

​What happens next

We will acknowledge your application when we receive it.

We will invoice you the assessment fee that applies to your application.

When payment is received, your application will be assessed in full by a land use specialist.

If you have any questions about the approval process, email or call our us on

Call Auckland Council helpline on 09 301 0101 and ask to speak to Community Facilities Land Advisory Services.

How we assess your request

Applying for approval does not guarantee that it will be granted.

We will weigh up our responsibilities as a protector of the land with the interests of the applicant and any public interest.

We can decline or approve any application, and the decision can’t be appealed.

Most applications can be approved by LAS after consultation with the relevant local board.

Sometimes a local board will want to discuss the decision itself. If that happens, a business report will be put to a local board agenda.

Approvals have a range of conditions that you will need to agree to in writing.

 Related topics



Working on or around trees on or around treesFind out if a tree is protected and if you need to apply for a resource consent before working on, around or underneath trees on your, neighbouring, and council properties.aspxBuilding and consents Resource consents
Manage your event your eventFind out about planning a harbour event and waste management, traffic management, and health and safety at your event. aspxOrganising events
Temporary structures structuresFind out about temporary structures, if they need a building or resource consent, and how to get one.aspxBuilding and consents
Why we have building and planning rules we have building and planning rulesHow we ensure all significant building work is safe, durable, sustainable, and poses no health and safety risks to users.aspxBuilding and consents
Engage a professional to help with your consent application or project a professional to help with your consent application or project The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website has information about getting professional help to prepare your resource consent application. aspxResource consents
Free advice before submitting a consent application advice before submitting a consent applicationGet 15 minutes of free advice to check if your project needs consents or permits.aspxBuilding and consents