Skip to main content
Auckland Council

Burn plans for larger fires

When you need a burn plan

A full prescribed burn plan is required in all fire seasons for:

  • larger or more complex fires
  • standing vegetation over half a hectare
  • clearing of forestry slash or skid site waste.

In a restricted fire season, you will need a fire permit along with the burn plan.

Burn plans should include

  • Location detail:
    • Address, property owner, and contractors.
    • A map of the property.
  • Purpose of the fire.
  • values potentially at risk - forest areas
  • smoke considerations - who may be susceptible and how smoke will be minimised
  • topography -how will this influence potential fire escape, how will it influence the weather
  • at risk vegetation - both what is being burnt and what would be burning if the fire escapes
  • weather - describe what weather conditions are required for the burn to go ahead
  • ignition patterns - what are the best ways to light the area for burning to be of a fully controlled intensity
  • suppression/holding resources - what resources such as appliances, machinery, spray units and or crews will be needed to keep the fire contained
  • safety plan - covering the ignition and containment of the fire. Especially: lookouts, communication, escape routes and safe zones
  • notifications - who else needs to be notified; Fire and Emergency, neighbours, possibly include public signage
  • permissions required: fire permit from Fire and Emergency New Zealand.
  • A risk assessment of:
    • the assets at risk such as forest areas, buildings, power lines
    • the weather conditions and terrain needed for the fire to go ahead
    • who may be affected by the smoke
    • how the smoke will be minimised
    • how the surrounding land form could affect where the fire may escape
    • the vegetation that is being burnt
    • what could burn if the fire escapes.
  • A safety plan covering:
    • plans for lighting and containing the fire
    • lookouts, communication, escape routes and safe zones
    • the best way to control the intensity of the fire
    • what resources, machinery, spray units and crews needed to keep the fire contained
    • who else needs to be notified, such as rural fire officers, neighbours, and signs for the public

Contact us

Contact Fire and Emergency New Zealand for more information on burn plans.