Skip to main content

Te tuku kai me te waipiro i tētahi wāhi hapori

Providing food and alcohol at a community venue

Serving food at a community venue

You need to pay a fee if you are serving kai at an event held at a community venue.

The special function fee

The special function service fee includes:

  • a staff inspection of your booked venue to make sure it's ready
  • 24/7 emergency support for the entire duration of your event
  • advice and support from staff to ensure you have a successful event.

The special function fee also provides extra security when you serve alcohol with kai.

Our staff will provide:

  • an introduction to the venue before your event
  • tips on how to be a responsible host
  • security staff to keep the facility secure.

For more details about the special function service fee, contact us.

Serving alcohol at a community venue

Our community venues are not licensed premises.

If you intend to serve alcohol, you will need to make a booking 20 working days before your event.

You should know

Serving or providing alcohol to minors is not permitted at our venues.

Food and non-alcoholic beverages (including free water) must always be provided if you are serving alcohol.

Check our Community venues terms and conditions for serving alcohol.

When you need an alcohol licence

You must apply for an alcohol special licence if you are:

  • selling alcohol at your event
  • opening your event to the public.

You have to apply at least 20 working days before your event.

You don't need an alcohol licence for a private gathering at a community venue.

 Related topics



Alcohol bans and licensing trusts bans and licensing trustsFind out about areas of Auckland where alcohol is banned and alcohol licensing trusts in west Auckland.aspxAlcohol
Outdoor dining licences dining licencesFind out whether you need an outdoor dining licence and how to apply for or transfer a licence. Use our calculator to work out what a licence will cost.aspxFood
Open a business that sells alcohol a business that sells alcoholApply for a an alcohol on-licence, off-licence, club licence or temporary authority.aspxAlcohol licensing
Find a park or beach a park or beachFind a park or beach to enjoy a BBQ, play sports, or take the kids to a playground.aspxParks
Local Alcohol Policy Alcohol PolicyThe Local Alcohol Policy outlines the location, number and trading hours for alcohol businesses in different areas. It is presently under appeal.aspx
Venue hire terms and conditions hire terms and conditionsThese terms and conditions have been developed to make sure your event runs smoothly.aspx